Brewers Grain Jackpot!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I have been having a very hard time finding malted barley in my town, Fargo, ND. North Dakota is the biggest producer of malting barley in the nation so I found that a little odd. It turns out that there is a Cargill Malting plant that makes all kinds of base and specialty grains just down the interstate from me. I sent out some emails for contact...I am hoping I can just go to the plant and pick up sacks of grain!! That would be about as fresh as it gets! :tank::tank::tank:

Bastard!!!....you'll probably pay per sack what I'd pay just for shipping.....

Hopefully they don't just sell wholesale...you might have to go to your local courthouse and plunk down a couple bucks for a business license or something....

Permo Inc....

Bastard!!!....you'll probably pay per sack what I'd pay just for shipping.....

Hopefully they don't just sell wholesale...you might have to go to your local courthouse and plunk down a couple bucks for a business license or something....

Permo Inc....

That would be more than worth it! I hope I can get this to workout somehow.

Yeah man thats lucky... I was talking to my dad the other day and it sounds like he might be working with Northwestern Extract on some business stuff - I hope to get a good deal on extract if things work out.

I have been having a very hard time finding malted barley in my town, Fargo, ND. North Dakota is the biggest producer of malting barley in the nation so I found that a little odd. It turns out that there is a Cargill Malting plant that makes all kinds of base and specialty grains just down the interstate from me. I sent out some emails for contact...I am hoping I can just go to the plant and pick up sacks of grain!! That would be about as fresh as it gets! :tank::tank::tank:

Lemme know what you find out! I get up that way once in a while. I live just across the river from the Shakopee Rahr malting plant, but they won't sell to individuals, only wholesalers:mad:

I wonder how a guy could get a wholesale license/permit? Then you could just buy grain and designate it for resale?! that would be sweet

I don't have a grain mill, I am wondering if a guy can just crack the husks with a rolling pin or something.

It turns out I have a friend, through a friend that actually works at the plant. Guess who get's all the free grain he can handle? This guy!!!

I too would be interested in hearing what you find out. There is a Cargill Malting plant back near my home town.

I have heard of people buying flaked barley and corn at Ag Co-Ops for super cheap ($10/55lbs), since that can be used as cattle feed, but I have little info on that too and would like to find out more.

No, he will bring it back from work for me, sacks, five gallon pails..whatever. It is an uncracked product, so I will probably have to get a mill. They also make 2000 pound bulk bags on pallets. I don't think i want that much.

I really would rather not get the grains for free, i would rather establish a business relationship with Cargill.

Permo, you are one lucky bastard. I do like the idea of getting a business permit...Anyone know anything about doing this? How long could you hold a business permit without showing any kind of profit? There's a distributor just over the bridge from me in Newport that has everything that I could ever want, but they only sell to wholesalers.

I did a little research on this as well, it isn't a difficult or exensive process but it will just add another level of complications to your tax return.

Back