blowoff tube on bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lnb001

Reaction score
I was going to brew today with a bucket as my carboy is full. Only problem is my airlock broke the other day when I was trying to get the blowoff tube off of it. Right now on my carboy I have a piece of foil until I can get a real airlock but I was wondering what I could do with the bucket lid? How do I attach a blowoff tube without an airlock? Thanks.

-Lucas

Is anything left of your airlock? I take the rubber stopper, stick the bottom inch of the airlock in it, and modify the remainder of the airlock to accept a rubber tube. Man, that would be easier to draw....Here's a pic. I think I made this one without the airlock piece, but instead used the applicator tip from a tube of silicone. Run hot water over your tubing to get it flexible.
P4280146.jpg

If you can rig up your blowoff tube to have a tight fit in the bucket lid, then you can run the blowoff tube into a container with some water in it, and you won't need an airlock.

Or am I missing something here?

I think it's 1/2" OD, but I'm not 100% sure. Take out the grommet and it's a pretty tight fit. Seems to work.

blowoff1.jpg

blowoff2.jpg

Back