Tight SS ball valves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samc

Reaction score
My SS ball valves are with varying degrees hard to turn. Only the newer ones that I bought from Bargain fittings are easy to use. The older ones really need a strong arm turning them. Can I take the nut off and oil anything or would that break some internal seal that keeps it water tight?

I presume that you have a 2 part body valve. First, close the valve and look at the ball. Make sure there are no scratches or cuts in it. If there aren't, I wouldn't take the valve apart. I would put oil on the sides of the ball and operate it to see if it will loosen up. If not, contact the manufacturer and see what they recommend. Luck - Dwain

I would try a little teflon base grease that is a light blue in color and like Mayonnaise. A light coating and work the lever to fully to coat the ball then clean it off.

The other lubricant that I would use first is that Epic bicycle chain lube that after the solvent quickly dries it leaves behind a wax base which should not leave any bad taste in your bier. This is also sold as White Lightening at your local bicycle shop. A dry waxy film I can see no problems with.
A household lube for hinges, latches and striker plates. No oily or dirty clothing makes the wifey happy.

Thanks for all the ideas! I went with some keg lube and it worked well. Will be interesting to see how it holds up under the heat of the boil.

Dwain - I don't speak Chinese or I would contact the manufacturer and ask them why they don't lube them.

Do not use bike chain grease!!!! Wax based greases cannot be good for beer, and that stuff tastes very very very horrible and is extremely potent.

For one thing it is not a "grease" second it is a wax film just like a candle, paraffin base candle wax which has no taste. We have been using it for years with brewing friends without a problem.
This is what we use and the transfer solvent is dry within two minutes.
Now to drink the lube with the transfer solvent is flat stupid as well it is highly flammable hence the fast evaporstion rate.
Sorry for bring up what has worked trouble free for us for years.

That above quote is total B/S but then use what makes you happy.
Billions of candles in use without deaths and the above said "tastes".
I'm out of here on this reply. Again sorry to have mentioned such a "tastes very very very horrible and is extremely potent" product as a household candle is so common. I must get Ralph Nader on this one as he can save the world on this new and "extremely potent" product.

Wow. I didn't mean any offense BrewBeemer. I am just saying that white lightning tastes really bad. Maybe it doesn't if you let it dry, I have never tasted it dry. That stuff smells and tastes bad in liquid form though.

Apparently it works, I would still go with a made-for-food product though if I were you.

Wow. I didn't mean any offense BrewBeemer. I am just saying that white lightning tastes really bad. Maybe it doesn't if you let it dry, I have never tasted it dry. That stuff smells and tastes bad in liquid form though.

Apparently it works, I would still go with a made-for-food product though if I were you.

Sorry boss; you would have to be a total fool to drink it in liquid form, I wouldn't do it myself. A friend that is a wine maker at a large winery in Livermore California turned me onto this on his large 3 piece ball valves at the winery. After cleaning then a wipedown with Epic, let dry allowing only a few microns of wax coating has solved many sticking and binding valves at the winery. I mentioned forum to him and hour ago while wet it tastes bad. After the laughting stopped he said a he'll stop by this weekend with a high dollar bottle of wine and read this forum he needed a good laugh. He said he bet that same person who drinks White Lightning chain lube would swallow a brick if you gave it to him. No offense taken on my end I use what works on my equipment. How did we survive eating those sweet flavored wax lips back in the 60's and 70's, we all should of been dead by this 45 years ago.

haha

fair enough. I have never drank the stuff. I was a bike mechanic for a while and got it in my mouth a few times accidentally wiping my mouth or whatever. Glad to entertain:D

haha

fair enough. I have never drank the stuff. I was a bike mechanic for a while and got it in my mouth a few times accidentally wiping my mouth or whatever. Glad to entertain:D

I wouldn't know as half my bikes are shaft drive, BMW's, 5 of 'em.
Norton 850's and Matchless 500 and 600 thumpers are the chain oil
slingers but spotless as these are show bikes. International 1st place
winner the Interstate. R90s best of show.
I only have 40 years on bikes dad rode until 80 then passed away.
Hollister 47 & 97, Speed twin Triumph Sol Cal dry lakes speed runs.
Down to only 9 bikes I sold the 69 Velo Thruxton 500 after 30 years.

this what i was going to say
food grade jelly lub

but paraffin is safe too after teh solvent is evapated

There is a difference with a few microns of paraffin vs paraffin in suspension with the fast evaportating solvents which is used just to get the paraffin in a joint or spot to lubricate the part. The only down side I see if a person squirted a vast amount of this paraffin base lube with the transfer solvent and before the solvent evaporated started to add water and brewed while it was still wet. All products have a warning to protect the public from themself. There is bound to be someone that will try something, those types can screw up a steel ball, they deserve the Darwin Award.

Back