Question about force carbing and bleeding off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroosBrewz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
New to kegging and just got my set-up.. when force carbing beer, I understand you turn the gas up to 30 psi, shake the crap out of it, and then turn off the gas, bleed off the excess CO2, and serve the beer.. My question is, how much of the CO2 do you "bleed off" before you serve the beer? All of it? Until there is no ::sswooosshh:: sound coming from valve? I would think you would need to leave some CO2 in there.. Also, after you shake it, do you turn the gas off, or just turn it down to serving pressure?

thanks!:mug:

you cool the keg to serving temp, then apply gas at 30psi, shake it for 30 minutes, remove the gas line from the keg but do not purge, then store it at serving temperature for 8-12 hours, then purge all excess pressure from keg, so just till the swoooosh sound stops, then apply gas at serving pressure.

Shaking is not a necessity, it denotes impatience and promotes green beer drinking. Can no one wait 4 days for a beer to carb?? Set it at 30 psi for 2 days, drop to 18 to 20 for a day, drop to serving psi (10 to 12) on the last day.

as long as your fermentation times were sufficient, you shouldnt have an issue with green beer due to only shortening your carbonation time by 2-3 days. the shake method takes about 3 days when done properly. you can leave it on gas for 5-10 days without shaking if youre worried that your fermentation times were inadequate and your beer needs more settling time. but generally, you can shake carbonate, then store it if youre still worried.

Back