Arrogant Bastard & Ruination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yankeehillbrewer

Reaction score
About a year ago I picked up an AB to try , and quite frankly I couldn't stand it. So I decided to pick one up the other day to give it another go. I drank it yesterday , and I can't beleive how good it was. It was well balanced and very pleasant to drink. Not sure why I didn't like it the first time, but I'm a fan now.

While I was at the store, I noticed that they started carrying Ruination as well. So, I grabbed one of those too. Another amazing beer. Very hoppy, but not obnoxious. Not something you want to pound though, gotta take your time and really enjoy it.

Anyhow, just thought I would share. Most of you probably know how great these are already, but for those that haven't tried them, give them a shot.:mug:

IMHO, that brewery has some water quality and process control issues

IMHO, that brewery has some water quality and process control issues

Why do you think that? Not trying to pick a fight or anything, just curious. I haven't tried the Ruination, but I would agree that the AB is fantastic.

Just had Ruination for the second time last week. God, that's good stuff. I just wish I could afford it on a regular basis.

I had the regular and oaked AB side by side a few days ago - amazing how different they taste!

I like AB a lot. I want to brew the clone that Yooper recommends. The one thing I have noticed with AB is inconsistency. I have had some that were raw, punch you in the mouth, flavor explosions. And I've had others that were mellower, maltier with a good hop bite. I think it may be due to the age of the bottle though...

if anyone lives in San Diego, go to the restaurant they have there, and try AB fresh from the tap, that's fricken amazing. Food there is good too, but pricey. and you'd never think there was a good restaurant there, but its great, even has a huge rock garden...

I've had AB a couple times and a DB once, each time when they were on sale and I loved them both. Tried Stone's IPA last week and that was great so I picked up their smoked porter to try and that was the first one of theirs I hit that I won't buy again. It just had kind of a harshness to the flavor, but I couldn't really taste any smoke at all. Odd. Certainly wasn't bad and I finished the bomber, but if I'm going to spend the money for their product, I'll stick with some of the others.

if anyone lives in San Diego, go to the restaurant they have there, and try AB fresh from the tap, that's fricken amazing. Food there is good too, but pricey. and you'd never think there was a good restaurant there, but its great, even has a huge rock garden...

I'd have to agree that they are great on tap. ! had both Ruination and AB on tap in Boise at Bittercreek Alehouse, and they were awesome.

Now I need a reason to go to SD...

The Oaked is good but far overpriced IMO.

It's $15.99 a six here.

I too enjoy the ruination, I currently am on the last few drops of a clone from the BYO magazine that I have gotten excellent reviews on. Great stuff and I have really enjoyed that 5 gallons.

I had the Ruination for the first time last night. It's good, but I prefer the Stone IPA.

I've only had one and it was pretty nasty. I don't know if I got a bad one or what. I usually like the beer everyone else is afraid of... Maybe the oaked version is better. I definately like the commentary on the bottle though. I feel the same way about my homebrew.

I'm not a fan of the AB or Ruination. My brother had a Corney keg of AB at his wedding, but it just wasn't my type of beer.

He did, however, pick up a growler full of Smoked Vanilla bean porter from the brewery. That stuff was rockin!! I got drunk before I was able to finish it all though. :mad:

I had the Ruination for the first time last night. It's good, but I prefer the Stone IPA.

+1 to that.

I feel like I'm in the great minority because I much prefer the Stone IPA to Ruination. I love AB and DBA too, and prefer both to Ruination. I know it's like blasphemy to speak negatively about Ruination on this forum, but something about it just doesn't click for me and I'm a total hophead. My favorite beer is Three Floyds Dreadnaught.

Stone Brewing is my all time favorite brewery!!!!!

It sucks though cause i moved to Utah and i can't get it here. So i have to stock up big time every time i go out of state.

My roommate just started working on the line at Stone. He has amazing benefits. The things they brew but don't necessary put into production are often incredible. Their Supercalibeliganwhatever is awesome--it's their IPA with belgian yeast from their vertical epic.

Also, they are very friendly to homebrewers and will share their ideas.

I'd have to agree that they are great on tap. ! had both Ruination and AB on tap in Boise at Bittercreek Alehouse, and they were awesome.

Now I need a reason to go to SD...

great weather, hot women, stone brewery, ballast point, green flash. . . meet up with some SD home brewers. there are tons of reasons to come out here. but once you get here you'll be hard pressed to find a reason to leave.

About a year ago I picked up an AB to try , and quite frankly I couldn't stand it. So I decided to pick one up the other day to give it another go. I drank it yesterday , and I can't beleive how good it was. It was well balanced and very pleasant to drink. Not sure why I didn't like it the first time, but I'm a fan now.

While I was at the store, I noticed that they started carrying Ruination as well. So, I grabbed one of those too. Another amazing beer. Very hoppy, but not obnoxious. Not something you want to pound though, gotta take your time and really enjoy it.

Anyhow, just thought I would share. Most of you probably know how great these are already, but for those that haven't tried them, give them a shot.:mug:

Last May we ordered a keg of Ruination for my wife's grad party. That was 24 VERY fun hours!!!!

GregR: I am waiting for the day SIGGRAPH is back in SD!! I missed out on some great beer and good people. Maybe in 2011?

Thanks to Beersmith, I got to sample Ballast Point.

Thanks to Beersmith, I got to sample Ballast Point.

oh how I love ballast point. everyone there is so friendly and knowledgeable. and their beer is outstanding. really, I think they are better than stone. blasphemy I know but it is how I feel. I'll take a big eye IPA over stone IPA any day of the week. and their specialty brews are outstanding. anyone who's had their sea monster imperial stout, sculpin IPA, or Dorado double IPA will tell you how awesome ballast point is.

Back