Man to live on only water and beer for lent

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesjensen1068

Reaction score
Came across this story in my local area:

Man Embarks On Beer-Only Fast
Until Easter, Man To Live On Water, Beer

CORNING, Iowa — KETV.com

Instead of fruits and vegetables, why not stick with beer? That's what a man in Corning is doing, and he said it's for religious reasons.

J. Wilson is attempting to recreate the way Fransiscan monks marked the holy season of Lent centuries ago. Until Easter, he'll live on only water and four hearty pints per day of his own Doppelbock creation.

The newspaper editor is getting guidance from both a local doctor and a pastor. He knows living on 1,200 calories a day will be a challenge, but his goal is to never become drunk.

“It's not something I’m taking lightly. My health is important to me. I've got a wife and two kids that are very, very important to me. So, it's not like a joke,” Wilson said.

Throughout Lent, Wilson plans to blog about his journey

Here is the link to the actual story:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42010241/ns/local_news-omaha_ne/

Cheers :mug:

He's drinking pints of doppelbock with no food, and hoping not to get drunk?

Yeah, well what do you expect him to drink? Busch Light?

On a side note, I got pretty drunk off a 4 pack of 9-12% abv 12 oz bottles. I'm also a person who can drink 15 BMC in the same time to feel the same amount of drunkeness. I couldn't imagine drinking four doppelbock and NOT get drunk.

He's drinking pints of doppelbock with no food, and hoping not to get drunk?
Hopefully he made it like the Doppelbock those monks drank...very low attenuation and practically a meal. But I still don't see how he won't get drunk unless he drinks a ton of water before each beer.

I know, I was joking. SpanishCastle makes a good point, basically exactly what you said.

I'm sure the guy took that into consideration and probably didn't just pick his favorite beer. It seems like he wants it to be authentic.

well if he spaces out his drinking throughout the day, he should be fine. most likely he will get a really awesome buzz going after each brew but drinking enough water with it will quickly quell any drunkenness.

what i love most about this article is people usually give up one single thing for lent. this guy gave up everyting but beer. i really wanna highfive this guy.

Cool thing is he is a homebrewer and will be drinking his own doppelbock.

I'm not sure that is entirely true.. I read the first day of his blog and he said: "I, of course, am not a monk. I loaded two kegs of Illuminator into the back of my Jeep, dropped my boys off at school and hit the office, where I tapped the first keg and had a little breakfast"

http://diaryofaparttimemonk.wordpress.com/ is the site for the blog

Wow if that's what he's drinking he's going to be drunk until Easter. 7.5% ABV and no food?

If I were his wife I would NOT let him drive my kids around.

I'm not sure how long lent but I've got spring break next week and I think I may join him, besides the trying not to get drunk part

I'm not sure that is entirely true.. I read the first day of his blog and he said: "I, of course, am not a monk. I loaded two kegs of Illuminator into the back of my Jeep, dropped my boys off at school and hit the office, where I tapped the first keg and had a little breakfast"

http://diaryofaparttimemonk.wordpress.com/ is the site for the blog

Sorry the article made it sound as tho he had brewed it himself.

Either way....still very cool

This is awesome. I'd seriously consider doing it myself if I had seen this before Wednesday. Given that I get a fairly constant supply of free beer at the brewery I work at, it seems like it'd be a perfect fit:D. But starting a day late just doesn't feel right...

He said later in the blog that he got it from Rock Bottom

But he made it, or at least the recipe. This is Wilson from Brewvana. I like his blog, though I don't get how Idaho is any sort of Brewvana. From what I've read, that's where people from Portland, Oregon think they live. Or Beervana or something.

I don't know how I missed his Lent plans. I have him on my RSS feed.

It's also funny because I just posted on Facebook how I didn't understand believing in a God that would want me to quit beer, meat, candy, or anything else. I figure God loves beer even more than I do and would never want me to go without it, especially in His name!

If he is Catholic, on he would be freed of the fast each Sunday, where he could eat normal food for a day. He'll be very hungry, but he should be fine.

I hope he makes it! :)

I've been trying to lose weight, just reducing calories. But a few weeks ago, I found myself with a whole pizza left over from a work event. Waste not, want not, I couldn't throw it out. I saved it and had two slices each day for lunch. Add in a Bacon, Egg White, and Cheese from DD in the AM, and a very light dinner supplemented by a few homebrews at night, and I had the Bacon, Pizza, and Beer diet. I lost two pounds that week. It's all about calories.

As an aside, Wilson already lost ten pounds. Damn I am seriously considering giving up food, but I'm sure my employer would not approve of a beer breakfast and a beer lunch.

i think it is great what he is doing. it will be interesting to see if he can make it. very dedicated and very hard to do. he is drinking 4 pints a day. dobbelbock would make that near 8 BMC. and i am pretty sure he is not drinking it all at once. best of luck and prayers to you

Back