Stupid burner question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
Yea - I'm dangerous!!

Below is what I received for Christmas. I was surprised the hose to the propane go directly "into" the burner but is attached to the end of the "funnel".

So - where do I light it?? I ASSUME on top but since the instructions were amazingly vague I better risk looking completely dumb and ask experts.

The instructions basically say "hook it up and light it".

hurricane-burner.jpg

Can I assume that the propane is meant to mix with O2? Just turn the propane on the mixing is automatic??

I've been doing two half boils my last 5 batches. Need a chiller now!! THEN I'm making a stove top mash tun. Slowly but surly.

I'm feeling a little cocky - four great batches in a row - time to step up the challenge!!

There are no stupid questions, only singed eyebrows!
;)

Yup just hold the flame over the burner and turn on the gas. I recommend one of those long pointer type lighters.

Nice one! Have fun!

Can I assume that the propane is meant to mix with O2? Just turn the propane on the mixing is automatic??

The propane feeds into the burner orifice (where the twisty part is), and you can adjust the mix by adjusting that piece. You want a clean burning flame (all blue), not orange and sooty.

I've been doing two half boils my last 5 batches. Need a chiller now!! THEN I'm making a stove top mash tun. Slowly but surly.

I'm feeling a little cocky - four great batches in a row - time to step up the challenge!!

There should be a plate (damper) with holes over the end of the "funnel" (as your described it) that turns. You can control the amount of air flow there. It just pulls it in.

Yea got one of them for my clunker of a grill. My plan is to get a pond pump and large container for Chiller water, can't use hose when it's -1F.

there should be a plate (damper) with holes over the end of the "funnel" (as your described it) that turns. You can control the amount of air flow there. It just pulls it in.

AHH HAAA!! yea - that is screwed down and I "thought" it was for that but again - the instructions were pretty poor!

thanks fly and Zym

It might not look like it but this is just a larger version of the assblies (EDIT that would be "assemblies" to us engrish speakers ;)) you have in your propane grill. Where that hose attaches the slight vacuum created by the flow of gas going through will pull air in with it and by the time it comes out through the element the gas and air are mixed and fully combustible. You adjust the airflow as well as the gas to tune the flame. AFAIK, the bluer the flame the better.

Yea got one of them for my clunker of a grill. My plan is to get a pond pump and large container for Chiller water, can't use hose when it's -1F.

Sure ya can! I do, though I am not too smart. :D

I run a hose out through the dog door from the utility sink. Just bring the hose in right away when done chilling. It cools down wicked fast! Yeah, the outdoor spigot don't work so hot though at those temps. Not to good for the plumbing either.

I haven't had a problem yet with using the ouside spigot during the cold. It's largely protected as it connects through a couple inches of masonry into the basement plumbing. I have never turned it off in the winter and have never had trouble.

Probably tempting fate by posting this though.

I haven't had a problem yet with using the ouside spigot during the cold. It's largely protected as it connects through a couple inches of masonry into the basement plumbing. I have never turned it off in the winter and have never had trouble.

Probably tempting fate by posting this though.

:off: apologies for the threadjack but...

I could not find the shutoff for mine the first few years we lived in this house. Pretty funky plumbing among other things here. So I did not shut it off in the winter the first few years. Did not have a problem either and it was wicked cold the first winter here. -30F was probably the lowest and it stayed below 0 for a month and a half. Problem is, I tried it this winter for the first time as I now use a keggle and cannot carry it in to the utility sink. Nothing came out. Accidentally left it on and the temp later warmed up above freezing. Later that night "Hey what's that sound?" Oops.

Pretty funny.

I have funky plumbing too since my house was built before it was built into the house.

I have a new house where you do not have to worry about this - however you do have to take the hose inside. My real concern was where put the "used"water. Probably have to go inside to a sink.

Of course EVERYTHING here in Wisconsin is pure ice at the moment from the ice storm - maybe no one will notice extra ice. LOL

Back