Temp Probe Placement?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broham1

Reaction score
I'm getting my kegs cut, punched, and welded this week, so I can actually start realizing my plan of going electric! Here comes the string of questions!

I'm planning a single PID, single pump, single tier, three keggle HERMS system. It's a scaled-down Kal setup, basically.

This question is about where to place the probe. During recirculation, I know I want to be measuring the wort at the HEX output.

So, how do I track the strike water?

My thoughts are to put the probe in a tee with camlock fittings, that way one probe can be shared between the HLT, the HERMS, and the CFC output for chill control.

Anyone done this already or have other ideas?

One pump, single tier. You will be batch sparging then.

You can make the portable flow though probe to move from job to job like you said or you can also recirculate your strike though the herms. Either way will get the pid the info. The cool thing about making the probe portable is that you can put it on the output of your plate chiller to digitally monitor temporary temp.

image-1355099036.jpg

I built this so I could do that, it's for a BCS, but with a simple 5vdc signal wire and a connection (I use RCA jacks) you could easily do this. Save on fittings and probes! I connect this to the output of my MT, chiller, etc.

Thanks for the replies. Good to hear I'm on the right path.

Never thought of running the strike through the HERMS. Nice!

I'll be doing the portable probe, though, since I want to read the output from my CFC, too.

Back