invisible infections

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtockst

Reaction score
I just brewed a red ale with a wlp 007 yeast starter. There were no visible signs of infection, and the beer actually looks great and tastes ok. But there is some kind of taste to it that seems strange. I can't really describe it, since I haven't ever tasted an infected beer. One thing I noticed, was when I opened my bucket to bottle it, there were brown chunky "islands" on top. I figured this was just krausen or hop matter that didn't sink. There wasn't a lot of it, but there were a couple clumps. The other part I was a little worried about was an incredibly strong smell. It seemed to hand just over the beer and if you stuck your nose down in it, it would almost burn your nose. This happened w/ a weizen I brewed, and that beer was great. could this be an infection or might it just be a green taste that will settle out? It's been in the bottles for almost 3 weeks so I figured it would be gone if that's what it was. Any ideas?

I don't know about the brown chunky floaties(no pictures) but the "nose burn" is most likely the concentrated CO2 reacting with the moisture in your nose to produce Carbonic acid.

hmm that is very interesting. And it makes sense because the co2 would be dense enough to just sit on top of the beer. What type of flavor does too much chlorine in your water supply give it?

Ropey and gusher infections are highly visible, but most other infections only change the taste.

Chlorine produces plastic/Band-Aid/clove-like aromas.

Back