The best commercial?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berkeleybrew

Reaction score
What would everyone consider the beer that they would like to emulate when they are making their own beer? Obviously personal preference and variety have a huge effect. I'm not talking about crap beers like bud etc., but maybe something like anderson valley (from CA if ur not aware), thats my personal preference of breweries.

Depends on the style. I'd like to match Dorryman's Dark from Pelican, but I love Austinhomebrew's Roque Mocha Porter clone. IPA? Who can chose! Do your best & dryhop with Cascades. Stouts? Lots of choices there, but too many of them are Imperials these days.

There are certain attributes of other beers that I like to see in mine but I never "clone" other beers. I like all of my recipes to have something unique about them, whether its a carapils addition or from 20L to 40L.

i'd love to clone magic hat #9, my wife loves it! i tried to do it once with a recipe from the 'clonebrews' book with apricot extract, it just wasn't the same.

but that was when we lived in ohio and couldn't get it there. now that we live in vermont we can just buy it anywhere or go drive 2 hours to the brewery and get a fresh growler or 3.

i guess it's more fun to throw some ingredients together and make a new beer. why replicate something that you can cheaper and quicker?

barrett

busch lite - it's the best tasting water i've found...good for hydration :D

nah i wouldn't emulate anything. people ask me "what does your beer taste like". i tell them "well, it tastes like my beer". i don't "clone" beers and i don't brew to style. i brew to taste... my taste.

I've tried to get close to these guys, but they put this restraining order on me. Lakefront brewery, they started out as homebrewers and still give the best brewery tour I have been on yet.

starnski said:
I've tryed to clone bud lite but it keeps coming out with more favor and less pop I'am sorry.............
You aren't Diluting it enough, add more Water after it's done.

I want to clone the Wheat beer I drank at one of the Brew Houses in Munich.. I got the recipie from the Brewer, but couldn't get the yeast :eek:

For widely sold Commercials.. Chimay Blue

I managed to get a bottle of Orval and it had LIVE yeast in it. Date on the bottle was only 2 months old. I actually was able to clone Orval. OH man is it good.
I've tried many times to harvest the yeast of Chimay so I could clone it and I haven't been able to for 28 years or so now.

Back