Any Mephistopheles clone recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampassJ

Reaction score
Just wanting to see peoples takes on such an immense beer and their opinions on how their flavors compared to the original. And if done side by side blind which would you prefer?

Avery is one of the generous breweries that post all their recipe details on-line. The hardest thing will be getting a smooth/complete fermentation with a gravity that high. Lots of alcohol tolerant yeast, plenty of oxygen, temperature control etc...

Beer Style: Stout
Hop Variety: Magnum, Styrian Goldings
Malt Variety: Two-row barley, black malt, roasted barley,Belgian special B, aromatic
OG: 1.145 * ABV: 15.1% * IBUs: 107
Color: Coal Black
Availability: One vintage brewed and bottled December 1st of each year. 12oz single bottles. Limited quantities.

Mephistopheles is the crafty shape shifter, the second fallen angel. Amazingly complex, coal black, velvety and liqueurish, this demon has a bouquet of vine-ripened grapes, anise and chocolate covered cherries with flavors of rum-soaked caramelized dark fruits and a double espresso finish. IBU's 107.
Mephistopheles is the final installment of “The Demons of Ale” series.

So after playing around with it for a bit, I came up with this for a recipe:
75%eff, 5.5gal batch
21# Marris Otter
0.5# Black Malt
1.5#Roasted Barley
1.5#Special B
1.5# Aromatic
2#Turbinado Sugar (added during fermentation)
2.25oz Magnum 13.5% (210min)
1oz Styrian goldings 5% (15min, flameout)
WLP530 or Wyeast 3787
2oz Med-Heavy American Oak cubes

Generally they list ingredients most to least, but more than 1lb of black malt just sounded like too much to me. I figure the belgian malts should account for the fruit flavors, the roasted and black malt should take care of the espresso finish, and the oak would do the rest. Any thoughts?

edit: bottle listed Turbinado sugar as an ingredient too

How good is this beer and how well does it age? We have a case of it, dated 2005 or 2006, Batch #1 I believe.

At the store I work at, because it never sells, hah. We have 05 and 06 bottles of this, Beast, and Samael (sp?).

Maybe I'll pick one up. Too bad they're 8 or 9 bucks a bottle, 12oz. We actually have about 3/4 of a case of Batch 1, and a full case of Batch 2.

That's why I'm looking for people and their experience trying to brew it. At 9 dollars a pop I can't afford it. Maybe a bomber I could talk myself into 9 dollars here and there though.

Latest posts

Back