First Aid Station...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Air Pirate

Reaction score
....is apparently what i should name my Irish Red since it has a lovely band aid flavor :(

question: do phenols mellow out over time or should i expect to think of hospitals every time i open a bottle?

i havent bottled it yet, i was planning on it today but i wonder if i should even bother...

OH OH I just went through this. Let it sit. I did a vienna ale and it had a horrible bandaid smell and taste for that matter. I let it set for about 2 more months (after the initial 3 weeks) and it came out wonderful.

I've got a band air beer that did mellow out some, but it's about 3 mo old now, and it's still got a wacky flavor, that isn't getting any better. I'd let it age for as long as you can, maybe you'll get lucky.

having worked as an EMT full-time for 3 years i might like a beer with that taste :D

sorry to hear about your red ale but brew something else and let it sit and see if that does the trick! good luck with it

2 months in the fermenter for an Irish Red Ale??

am I missing something, or is that a bit long...

2 months in PRIMARY? an autolyzing yeast cake can ruin the beer...

2 months in the fermenter for an Irish Red Ale??

am I missing something, or is that a bit long...

2 months in PRIMARY? an autolyzing yeast cake can ruin the beer...

Read my mind...for something like that I would guess no more then 3 weeks.

You must be extremely busy to forget about it!! I have to drag myself away from my fermenter or I would never get anything done! I can't tell you how many bubbles I've watched roll through my airlock and been totally amused! :drunk:

I would also let it sit, you never know. If its still bad in a couple months then I might consider dumping it but you gotta give your beer the chance!

Back