First AG Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3rd and Long

Reaction score
I've done AG for over a year now, but I'm currently brewing my first experimental AG batch. I've played around plenty with Extract and Cider, but was hessitant on "fooling around" with an AG because of the time investment. I'd like to run the recipe by you guys to see if I'm just nuts with my modifications.

I started with an AHS Imperial stout recipe and bumped up the Pale Malt (for higher gravity), Black Patent (for added darkness), and 1/2 more oz of Chinook hops (added bitterness to offset the higher gravity).
Here's the bill:
14 lb. Pale Malt
1 lb. Crystal 60
1 lb. Black Barley
3/4 lb. Black Patent

2.5 oz. Chinook bittering hops

Projected optimal Gravity: 1.112
I hope to get atleast a 75% conversion: .834
IBU: around 105 depending on OG
I'm also considering adding some leftover corn sugar or molasses just before the boil, which will start in about 20 minutes. I figure I'll be able to tap the keg around st. pat's day.
what do you guys think?
Thanks!

It originally called for 1/2 lb, and since Imperials are not necessarally very black I decided to make it a bit blacker.. maybe I'll name it Darth Vader Imperial Stout.

I'm sucha freaking dork.

I ended up adding 4oz of corn sugar to the boil. This brings the potential gravity to 1.1134. I'll post the actual Og shortly

What strain of yeast for this beast? :) That's an awfully big beer; it's gonna need a healthy yeast!

I used Wyeast Irish Ale 1084, I started the smack pack last night and it was well along by the time I pitched earlier this evening.
My conversion was lower than hoped, (OG: 1.073) so I will be working on that in future recipes.

Back