Hurricane vs BG-14 air shutter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzacharko

Reaction score
I apologize if this has been covered, but can anyone comment on if there is a difference in the air shutter between the Banjo burner (BG-14), and the Hurricane?

I intend to buy the BG-14s and run then off of low pressure propane (Honeywell solenoids, new orifice etc), but I want to make sure I the shutter allows enough air into the mix off of lower pressure. Does anyone know if I will get a performance advantage in enlarging the openings to what looks like the stock Hurricane shutter?

Hurricane air shutter
63-5165.jpg

BG-14 replacement shutter
bc5212_propane_air_shutter_spring.jpg

BG-14 with stock shutter
bcbg14_large_cast_propane_burner.jpg

I'd be surprised if the two castings aren't identical.

As for the air shutter, the one shown as the "replacement" for the BG-14 looks identical to the ones on my Blichmann burners. I believe most folks are using BG-14s versus Hurricanes (though I could be wrong) and I haven't read of anyone modding or replacing their air dampers...

Cheers!

I have BG-14's with the "replacement discs" you have pictured. The one thing I did swap out was that spring. It was useless. Replaced it with a spring washer, which holds the disc in position much better.

Back