"No Chill" Containers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't no chill but kind of do.I chill to around 100 deg to lock in hop/flavor /aroma,that goes pretty quick and easy, 10 minutes.(the last 40 deg are what take forever).Transfer to my primary buckets and pitch the next day after temps naturally drop to around 68 deg
This has become my practice as well; 1 less transfer & 1 less vessel to clean. I have a fermentation chamber; so in 8 - 10 hrs I am at my pitching temp of 64 deg.

Last edited:
I started chilling to 180F naturally then draining into a corny with sanitized foil over the posts. Also, once it chills a little more from there (around 140-160); I throw some flameout hops in and let it steep overnight until I pitch in the morning. It works pretty nicely for aroma.

I don't no-chill, but if I did I would just do it in my boil kettle. Seal the lid on with some plastic cling wrap.

I use the 6 gallon round winpaks. Been using them for 3 years now with no issues. They definitely suck in when they cool, but bounce back with a little hot water and cleaning. I pour them into a Speidel when I'm ready to ferment, but have let them sit for upwards of 2 months before fermenting without any issues. Also, it's not too hard to wash them, I just pop them on the keg washer for 5 minutes with some oxiclean and fermcapS, then a quick rinse and dry.

2016-06-12 12.25.44.jpg

2016-06-12 12.25.58.jpg

After the hot wort is in the cube I know you’re supposed to leave it on it’s side to help keep the lid area sanitized, right? At what point is it ok to put the cube upright? In my case I can’t put my hdpe “cube” in the ferm chamber on its side.

I have used the Fort-pak cubes for the last few years and had good luck. After knock-out and whirlpool, I allow the wort to sit for about 10 minutes, then I drain into one of the cubes. I secure the lid and put it on it's side for at least 30 minutes. After that I put it back upright. The purpose is for the hot wort to sanitize the inside of the handle and upper parts of the container. With that said, I will say that after about 6-8 brews, one of my cubes is unusable because the seal won't seal tight enough anymore to put it on it's side. But I bought a few. /cheers

I have never put it on its side. I fill it with sanitizer about half way and splash it around through out the brew day, then drain it through the spigot on the container. Then I fill it and just leave it sit to cool. So far for the three batches I have done with it, there haven't been any issues.

What about topping up partial boils in the containers? Or doing so, then the next day or whenever you are ready to ferment, adding top up water to your fermenter to increase the volume to say 5 gallons. Any risks? Has anyone tried this?

Back