Left over grains, let's be creative!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kylevester

Reaction score
I've got 4 lbs of 2-row, 4 lbs of wheat, 3 lbs of Munich, 5 lbs Rye for base/specialty-ish malts.

Got a variety of specialty grains: Chocolate, Choc. Wheat, Special B, Crystal 40, Carahell, and a few others that I can't remember.

Hops (at least 4 ounces): Chinook, Cascade, Glacier, EKG, Fuggles, Amarillo, and Columbus

Hops (less than 1 ounce and .25 oz or more): Galena, Warrior, Magnum, Sterling

I'm moving in the next 1.5 months (hopefully!) after finishing up grad school so I'm not wanting to buy a sack of grain, have two batches (5 gallon) going now and ingredients for a Dunkelweizen ready to go and want to brew up the left overs of the base malts in one or two batches.

I'm a little tempted to throw all of the base malts together and see what comes out. Maybe add some chocolate malt or roasted barley for color.

I'll continue pondering and post some combos I'd like to try. I'm highly experimental and will drink just about anything that I brew that I don't screw up with an off flavor. (I managed to brew a double chocolate cherry stout that smelled and tasted of vomit after a month and after a year still smells of vomit and tastes like copper, I do not care for this beer)

Anyway, anyone who wants to suggest something, go for it. I'll try to update every few days with ideas of my own.

Oh, and I have a torpedo tube that I've had over 50% rye or wheat and not had stuck sparges.

All the two row and munich, two lbs of rye,60 min go with amarillo, glacier@ 20, both @ 15, 10 and 5.
I would also throw in some choc wheat and 10% sugar. But thats just the brit in me showing.
I would aim for about 50-55 ibu, just about half of which coming from the 60 minute addition. Dry hop with both.
I think that those two hops work very well together and that rye and choc or crystal wheat work great.
If you dont want the rest, just send it over to thailand

So, I'd forgotten about a recipe I'd made up already in BeerSmith:

5 lbs Rye
4 lbs 2-row
1 lbs Munich
Chinook for bittering
Cascade for aroma and flavor

Target 1.049 SG, 30 IBU

But I really like the suggestion above. Hmmm.

You could just send it to me, I'll brew it and you can come on holiday to try it LMFAO:rockin:

A nice drinkable (roughly) American Amber?

5 gallon
OG ~1.075
ABV ~ 7.5%
IBU ~ 35-45

4# 2 row
4# wheat malt
3# munich malt
2# rye
1# crystal 40 (or whatever else)
maybe a little pale chocolate?

35 IBU of magnum and/or chinook @ 60min
2oz Cascade + 2oz Columbus @ 10min (or do a hop steep at flameout)
1oz Cascade + 1oz Amarillo dry hop

US-05 or other clean american ale yeast

Back