HERMS: 10g Cooler Mash Tun - Electric HLT recirc question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MX1

Texas Ale Works
Reaction score
So, I think the next, simplest step for upgrading the brewing for me is going to be a HERMs set up.

My thought is to put a HEX in the HLT and recirc the mash through it to maintain temp. THis will allow me to start with a simple Love controller build and I can run the pump off a 110v input.
I already have a 220v controller from HighGravity Brewing

http://www.highgravitybrew.com/produ...r-158p3084.htm

to run the BK and the HLT.

Where should I put the temp probe to make sure I hold the correct mash temp?

Tim

I would recommend the temp probe be in the output of the HEX coil. That would represent the max temperature of your mash and if you have good circulation and insulation it should also be a good indicator of overall mash temp.

I put the thermocouple in the middle of the HLT, not inline with the wort. Using 50ft of thin wall ss, I see only a few degrees difference between HLT set temp and wort temperatures.

Really you can put the probe any where in the system that will be consistent. So pretty much any where but in the mash, as your grain bill will change. Just take good notes. If your probe says *158 and your mash is *154 then you know to set your controller 4 degrees higher.

here are a few pics of the work / fluid flow and the rough idea for the stand.

BeerStand2.jpg

BrewDay.jpg

I hate to admit that I am stealing the stand idea from another member....but you know what they say about imitation....

Tim

Back