batch sparge beersmith long boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amishland

Reaction score
I am planning on brewing a barleywine soon.

the recipe I am inspired by wants me to boil for 120 min
31# maris otter is only grains used
mash @ 150 for 90 min (first runnings only 53% efficiency)
no sparge collect 8 gallons

how do I program in my recipe? is there a special way to calculate things only use first runnings

right now i am seeing 0.3 Gallon / Pound is my needed ratio to achieve the right pre boil amount. this all feels wrong

So you are looking to do a no sparge process?

I'm a bit confused as you have batch sparge listed in the title yet you mention no sparge collect 8 gallons in the post.

Also, are we to assume that you're looking for 5.5 gallons post boil?

If you could clarify I think that would help.

Thanks,

cp

Yeah sorry, i use a 58 qt cooler and always batch sparge. I am looking to only use the first runnings.

I assume that no sparge is same thing as batch sparge except you dont add sparge water?

I am targeting 5.5 gallons post boil

I don't really know Beersmith at all but manual figurin' says:

If you want 8 gallons preboil, you have to account for the absorption (31lbs x .5 quarts= 15.5 qts or almost 4 gallons. So, strike with 12 gallons of water. Do yourself a favor though and prepare 6.5 gallons of sparge water for a decent ESB from the second runnings.

You might not be able to get 31lbs and 12 gallons in that tun because it will take up about 56 quarts. You may want to mash with 11 gallons to be able to close the lid and then add a gallon back in just before you vorlauf since you can keep the lid open.

Alternatively you can drop back to something like 28 lbs of grain and make up the rest of the gravity with simple sugar.

Bobby is correct on the water amount. If you want to calculate that manually you would:

Volume of pre-boil / total grain weight + absorption

or

8 / 31 + .125 = .38 gallons per pount grain

which gives you

.38 x 31 = 11.78 gallons of strike water

I don't have Beersmith, but here is how I would calculate out your expected gravity from your runnings:

If assuming 75%:
31 lbs x 38 potential yield x .75 = 883.5 / 12 = 73.63 = 1.074

If assuming 53%:
31 lbs x 38 potential yield x .53 = 624.34 / 12 = 52.03 = 1.052

When you boil down your 8 gallons to 5.5 gallons:

If assuming 75%:
73.63 x 8 = 589.04 / 5.5 = 107 = 1.107 OG

If assuming 53%:
52.03 x 8 = 416.24 / 5.5 = 75.68 = 1.076 OG

Good luck with the brew.

cp

Thx Bobby and CP.

I do not want to overflow the cooler, any guess if 53Q will close in 58Q cooler?
(30# with 12gallons=57.3Q)

If not I may drop down to 28# with 1#sugar

Bobby is correct on the water amount. If you want to calculate that manually you would:

Volume of pre-boil / total grain weight + absorption

or

8 / 31 + .125 = .38 gallons per pount grain

which gives you

.38 x 31 = 11.78 gallons of strike water

This can be simplified to

Pre-boil volume + (.125 x Total Grain Weight) = Strike Water

Cory's spreadsheet = :rockin:

Glad you like it JMF. If you have any ideas for further development let me know. I've got a small list, but nothing major planned on the horizon.

Thx Bobby and CP.

I do not want to overflow the cooler, any guess if 53Q will close in 58Q cooler?
(30# with 12gallons=57.3Q)

If not I may drop down to 28# with 1#sugar

Best bet is to measure the internal dimensions of your cooler. I did this on a whim before trying a Partigyle and found that my "54 quart" cooler would actually only hold 45 qt of mash! The extra 9 qt that Coleman was counting is in the internal space of the lid, above the rim of the main part of the cooler.

Then you can use this ( http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml ) under that "Can I mash it?" section to figure out how much grain and water you can fit.

I want to try a Barleywine soon with a similarly simple grainbill, let us know how this turns out!

Back