Pliny The Younger!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkarp

Reaction score
Had the fine privilege of enjoying this nectar at the Falling Rock Taphouse this evening where 15 gallons disappeared in about 30 minutes.

Pliny the Elder is my all-time favorite beer. It's always in the fridge. I make a point of visiting Santa Rosa every time I make it to CA. In other words, I know Pliny. :mug:

So how's Younger compare? Remarkably similar, to be honest. Same hop profile, but at 11% ABV, Younger comes across crisper and drier. Out of the corney, Younger was very clear, much clearer than Elder. All I can say is, it's a good thing Younger only comes once a year. This stuff is just too damn drinkable.

Oh, and the best bit? Every burp the rest of the evening brought up a new wave of hop aroma! :rockin:

The Elder is better. Pliny the Younger is interesting and novel, but if it were year round, I'd get bored with it fast. I think that the ratings on this beer are typically way jacked up because of the hype. It is good, but PtE is great. There are a lot better beers on the market.

Naked City claims to have blown a keg in 6 minutes, though the more I think about it that is pretty much impossible with a sixth barrel, unless the faucet was constantly open which is not how I would choose to pour a beer that expensive.

I also would like a PTE more on any given day.

Naked City claims to have blown a keg in 6 minutes, though the more I think about it that is pretty much impossible with a sixth barrel, unless the faucet was constantly open which is not how I would choose to pour a beer that expensive.

Actually, 5 gallons can go pretty darn quick! At Falling Rock, the faucet was indeed open constantly. They just kept filling glasses one after the next and the bartenders handed 'em out.

I also heard that it was gone in 6 mins. The Collin's Pub said their's lasted about 20 mins. I know Brouwer's tapped their keg yesterday too, but didn't hear how long it lasted. I'm hoping some pub around here taps one this week on one of my days off.

Actually, 5 gallons can go pretty darn quick! At Falling Rock, the faucet was indeed open constantly. They just kept filling glasses one after the next and the bartenders handed 'em out.

That's crazy, it seems like there is no need to hurry (that much).

Yeah I figure a sixth barrel, if you leave the faucet open, is going to take 6-8 minutes to empty.

Hmmmmm I am wondering where in Philly I can buy it in bottles...

You cannot get it in bottles on the east coast. All of their products that make it here are in kegs. Monks Cafe in Philly will usually have one of their offerings on tap but be prepared to pay for it. The best way to get it is to try and trade for it. I know RR makes it to Colorado but not sure how far past that the bottles make it.

I too was at falling rock for the PTY tapping on tuesday and I will agree that it is drier however, I feel the hop profile was pretty different. I felt like the hop aroma while impressive wasn't as bold as PTE, but in terms of flavor I think PTE is more piney witha slight grapefruit tartness. While PTY was Pineapple and slight grapefruit, almost no pine. JMO though so take it for what it's worth. I actually prefer PTY to PTE and if I'm drinking more than 1-2 IPA's in a sitting I'd go with Blind Pig over the Pliny. I feel the higher alcohol in Pliny while not really present lends in some way to the less balanced flavor profile I get from the Pliny's.

Back