Hop Sock Variation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simphoto02

WoodyBlue
Reaction score
Okay, So I went with a "Hop Sock" thing.

Was VERY careful in cutting the tops of my keggles (used BobbyM's jig design) and was able to get a very round opening.

Thought about how to have it secure as to no fall into the keggle and also allow a cover to keep crap out as it boils. Came up with a variation of the Hop Sock here on the forum

hopsockd.jpg

I got the Stainless nuts, washers and 6" threaded rods from McMaster. 4" PVC pipe, Stainless clap also from McMaster, paint strainer from HD.

Cut the rods to length, and then cut a slot in them with the same angle grinder blade used on the keggles. Made a perfect grove to slide on the lip of the opening.
hopsocka.jpg

hopsockc.jpg

hopsockb.jpg

Solid as a rock, can't wait to try it out.

Can it be removed easily? Seems like the slots would require you to loosen some of the nuts to get it out.

Can it be removed easily? Seems like the slots would require you to loosen some of the nuts to get it out.

That is correct. and that is the point. I don't want it dancing around as i do a boil. I want this thing steady and in place for a lid to cover the entire opening of the keggle

It's nice, but it's overkill...why not just one long shaft? The sock's not going anywhere. ;)

I agree it is a bit much, but the whole plan is to keep the hops trub contained while allowing a cove on the boil keggle. It would be a real ***** if it fell back into the keggle, besides a single long rod would not be receptive to a cover.

I agree it is a bit much, but the whole plan is to keep the hops trub contained while allowing a cove on the boil keggle. It would be a real ***** if it fell back into the keggle, besides a single long rod would not be receptive to a cover.
If you make it (almost) the diameter of the keggle there's no way it could ever drop in.

"allow a cover to keep crap out as it boils"

Most recommend not covering kettle while boiling wort, if you want to keep stuff out you are better off with some screening or fry splatter shield.

The cover doesn't seal the keggle, it only acts like a debris shield. I brew in my garage and wood shop.....

The cover does not prevent boil off. I felt it was important to secure the hop sock.

If you notched the bottom of those grooves, (cut out) then it would "drop" into place, but still be steady and relatively unmoving, and not require disassembly to remove.

Back