Chocolate Oatmeal Stout recipe - Critique needed.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesanch

Reaction score
This will be my second all grain batch and my 6th brew overall. I've mainly used the Oatmeal Stout recipe in Brewing Classic styles with some adjustments. I rounded out the numbers for the malt bill for ease of use and substituted Fuggles for EKG due to their lower AA % to compensate for the added bitterness from the cocoa powder. I also added cocoa powder for that extra chocolaty aroma and taste. I also will be using WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast, since it's what I have. As mentioned in BCS, I'll be toasting the oats at 300F until slightly browned to give them added flavor.

Is 4 oz of cocoa enough or too much for a 3.5 gallon batch? I came at this number from reading other recipes. But mostly just a shot in the dark.

Anyway, this is my first crack at coming up with a recipe, but don't take it easy on me. Critique away!

Brew Type: All Grain
Style: Oatmeal Stout
Batch Size: 3.50 gal
Boil Volume: 4.66 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Estimated SG: 1.058
Estimated FG: 1.016

Amount Item Type
6.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM)
0.65 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM)
0.33 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM)
0.33 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)

Mash at 154 for 90 minutes.
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (60 min)
4.00 oz Cocoa Powder (Boil 0.0 min)

Ferment with WLP004 (1L starter) @ 65F

Looks good. I'd probably up the oats to a full pound and add more chocolate. Once the beer starts fermenting out, you won't taste 4 oz of chocolate... at least, I usually don't. I add around 8oz. for a nice subtle chocolate flavor. Half in the boil, half in the secondary.

Suthrncomfrt1884, Thanks for the reply! Mind you this is a recipe for only 3.5 gallons. I noticed some other 5 gallon recipes calling for 8+ oz of cocoa. Still think 4 oz is too little?

Suthrncomfrt1884, Thanks for the reply! Mind you this is a recipe for only 3.5 gallons. I noticed some other 5 gallon recipes calling for 8+ oz of cocoa. Still think 4 oz is too little?

I generally aim for around 1 oz of cocoa powder per gallon in secondary. This is enough chocolate for me, but then I am generally looking to make a beer that has some chocolate notes (not a beer where chocolate is the dominant flavor). Start low, and then add more if you want more.

I generally aim for around 1 oz of cocoa powder per gallon in secondary. This is enough chocolate for me, but then I am generally looking to make a beer that has some chocolate notes (not a beer where chocolate is the dominant flavor). Start low, and then add more if you want more.

I too am looking for a beer with some chocolate notes and not the other way around. So you think adding to secondary is better than to the boil? I'm lazy and don't typically use a secondary but doesn't mean that I won't to get the flavor I'm after.

I too am looking for a beer with some chocolate notes and not the other way around. So you think adding to secondary is better than to the boil? I'm lazy and don't typically use a secondary but doesn't mean that I won't to get the flavor I'm after.

I did 8oz of Cocoa power @10 and when I racked it to the secondary on Friday onto the Cacao Nibs it was pretty chocolaty. Then again I am going for a double chocolate milk stout.

You can get fine results adding cocoa powder to the boil, but I like the softer more aromatic secondary addition. You could probably just stir the cocoa paste into primary after fermentation has slowed down if you want to go that route.

I think I'll try both, maybe add 1/2 to the boil and 1/2 to the secondary to taste?

Now for a name?

Cocoa Float? Since it has Cocoa, Fuggles, and Oats.

I'm really bad at the whole creative-beer-naming thing. Other suggestions welcome.

I don't think you need a creative name for this beer to make it impressive. Chocolate Oatmeal Stout is pretty tasty sounding as is..

Getting ready to brew this Friday or Saturday. Planning on making a starter tonight.

Back