Things to do with copper tubing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbyc

Reaction score
A local hardware store is going out of business and is selling everything at 50% off or more. They have multiple sizes of bendable copper tubing selling for 15-30 cents a foot, much cheaper than I've ever seen it at Lowes.

Question is this: What can I make with flexible copper tubing???
1. I already have a counterflow chiller. 2. The lengths aren't very long... maybe 15-20 feet max.

Let's hear some good ideas...

I'd buy a bunch of 3/8 and 1/2 and sell it to folks on here who want to make immersion and counterflow chillers. You could easily join two 20 ft lengths with a simple soldered coupling. Right now, 3/8" ID is going for at least $2/ft.

Bobby

At that price, you need to go into the IC business! If nothing else, make a first stage pre-chiller.

At 30 cents per foot, you could likely sell everything you buy on ebay for double or triple what you paid.....

Skol!

You can also make an immersion heater for a RIMS type all grain system (mash runnings get recirculated through a coil immersed in hot water to raise the overall mash temp).

Good ideas... I'll probably just go ahead and buy up all the 3/8, 1/2, and 5/8 and figure out what to do later. The prechiller isn't a bad idea either. I haven't used my CFC in the heat of the summer yet... so I don't know if I'll need it quite yet. It won't cost more than 10-20 bucks to buy their remaining stock, though.

Building an immersion chiller isn't a bad idea either...

In one of the Summer issues of BYO I thought I saw something with copper tubing and a cooler. Cools warm beer... something like that....

Jockey box? Runs warm beer through copper coils in a cooler full of ice to taps off the front. That's not a bad idea either...

Jesus that's cheap! My small immersion chiller I just built ended up costing me $2/ft! If you buy 40 feet I would gladly pay you double what you paid plus shipping!

Back