Yet another "..My First Infection Thread..."

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackson_d

Reaction score
18 batches under my belt, no infection... guess the beer gods figured it was about time..
what do you think? yes or no infection?

DSCN1011.jpg

Probably. Looks kind of like Lactobacillus but without the big bubbles. :(

The beer could still be good...rack from under it.

How old is that beer? A pellicle takes about a month to form, so if it's younger than that, you're probably safe.

Good luck,

Michael

I had something similar in a beer that failed to take off. I racked from under, pitched new yeast, and it took off. Have not tried it yet, its a flanders brown, so its got 14 months or so to go.

How old is that beer? A pellicle takes about a month to form, so if it's younger than that, you're probably safe.

oh sweet. i brewed it on 8/8 and racked 2 weeks later, just this past saturday. i think i'll re rack from the bottom and let it sit another week, then get her in a keg as long as she's clean..

Not to completely threadjack but looking for feedback in the same vein....

Brewed a Red's Rye pseudo clone and when I popped to transfer to the keg came across this - any ideas? I've got a set of transferring equipment that is sour dedicated. What I was thinking is that I'd go ahead and use that to move this into bottles and then essentially write off this bucket as "sour use only" and keep an eye on the bottles. Attenuation was a little lower than expected (used 2 packs of US-05 and gravity went from 1.048 to 1.013 in about 2.5 wks).

IMG_0697.jpg

Probably. Looks kind of like Lactobacillus but without the big bubbles. :(

The beer could still be good...rack from under it.

Unless you have a microscope taking samples of that exact beer, I wouldn't try to identify the organism in it.

Not to completely threadjack but looking for feedback in the same vein....

Brewed a Red's Rye pseudo clone and when I popped to transfer to the keg came across this - any ideas? I've got a set of transferring equipment that is sour dedicated. What I was thinking is that I'd go ahead and use that to move this into bottles and then essentially write off this bucket as "sour use only" and keep an eye on the bottles. Attenuation was a little lower than expected (used 2 packs of US-05 and gravity went from 1.048 to 1.013 in about 2.5 wks).

I would do exactly as you have mentioned.

Scray 24 ......... I opened a bucket this weekend to find the exact same thing. Looked identicle to yours. Still trying to diagnose what happened here. I pitched it and did not bottle it. I was curious and wanted to but didn't want it touching any of my stuff.

hey i was going to re rack and see what happened but as i was testing the gravity, the beer tasted fine. i kegged it and its on gas right now. still needs little more carbonation but so far it tastes as good as i hoped when i came up with the recipe.

so.. i dont know!?

Why bottle/keg at the first sight of infection? the infection is still going to be working in the bottle/keg, and that building of pressure seems more dangerous than the fermenter. I vote for letting it run it's course in the fermenter, where it won't turn into a ticking time bomb. I wouldn't imagine there is a way to "rack underneath of it," that would be dang near impossible not to transfer it

I dumped 47 bottles of Ed Wort's Haus Ale on Saturday. I opened one up on friday night, and it had a real winey smell to it, and was quite cloudy. The taste was so-so. I did wake up on sat. morning with more gas than usual.

I kegged and put it in the keezer right away. My first thought would be that the colder temp would stall or kill an infection? Just my thought..

but i will say, it still tastes good, but in the better bottle, the beer was crystal clear. its been on gas for 7 days now, and still pours very cloudy. still tastes fine, but just much cloudier than it was in the BB...

Latest posts

Back