Light yet Flavorful Summer Beer???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewkowski

Reaction score
I don't have software installed at work and I was going to the brew store after work and don't have time to punch this in for exact specs, but this is what I was thinking of. Looking for just a light bodied cheap summer ale with a little character to it.

3lb DME

8oz Honey Malt
4 oz Special Roast
8 oz Flaked Corn
8 oz Flaked Rice
1 lb Two Row
8oz Pilsner malt
8 oz Flaked Wheat

Safale US-05

Zeus Hops 2 oz (.5 @60, .5 @ 30, .5 @ 15, .5 @ flameout)

Any thoughts on why this would be a bad mix or things to change?

You will be pretty close on your enzymes (equal amounts base malt and adjuncts), if you can fit it I would swap out the pils for another pound of two-row.

Other than that should be a tasty beer.

What about using a touch of 6 row? I've never used it so I have no idea what it will change, but it does have more ability to convert right?

6-row does have more diastatic power, but compared to American 2-row it is pretty close. Go easy on it though, because it has a higher ratio of husk to starch it can give a husky/grainy flavor that most people don't care for (1-2 pounds shouldn't be an issue though).

well, i ditched the pilsner and added 8oz of 6 row. I've never used Zeus or really any other Super Hop, this batch was 16.4 AA. I had to scale down my hop additions a lot with the late DME addition to keep the IBU's below 50. Started fermenting today and the smell of those hops is filling the little room that it's in.

I've been trying to keep it around 70, but it crept up to 73 and I put a frozen 2ltr of water in the fermentation box i have it in and it dropped it to like 65. Why kind of off flavors can swinging temperatures result in? Also, is it bad if a lot of the leaf hop material didn't get sifted out? I was trying to use a funnel with screen but it just wasn't flowing well so I took the screen out. So know there is a significant amount of hop material in the top of the carboy in the krauzen.

Back