Moving Up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedDragon

Reaction score
Ok, I am ready to upgrade to some bigger equipment to brew full batch brews (5 gal extract). I need to purchase a burner, a new kettle, and a wort chiller. I want to get something that I can use when I advance to all grain brewing. That being said, do you have any recommendations on:
1) size of kettle
2) make of kettle (no overly expensive)
3) burner recommendations

Thanks for your input!

Bayou Classic Depot Outdoor Cooking Equipment

1. I use a 36qt kettle for 5 gal. batches, but you might want to go bigger if you intend to do bigger batches.

2. Bayou Classic seems to have the cheapest SS kettles that I've found.

3. I was using a cheapo turkey fryer from Home Depot until last batch when it **** the bed. I searched a lot of threads like this one: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/bayou-classic-sp-10-sq-14-a-76343/ when trying to decide on a replacement. This is just one example. If you use the search feature you'll find a million threads burners.

+1 on the Bayou Classic turkey fryer. I bought one with an aluminum pot while I was in Missouri awhile back (got one hell of a deal at "Ag Mart"). The 30 QT pot is plenty large enough to do 5 gallon batches.

Don't let aluminum scare you. If cost is a motivator I would definitely look for an aluminum pot.

Man, those baskets make those pots look awesome for doing single-pot all grain (brew in a bag); they'd keep the nylon away from the sides of the pots and risk of scorching.

Man, those baskets make those pots look awesome for doing single-pot all grain (brew in a bag); they'd keep the nylon away from the sides of the pots and risk of scorching.
I don't have a bayou classic, but I have a similar large stock pot that I've used for BIAB before - the basket does work very well

Update: I purchased the SP10 and I found a 36 Qt Bayou Classic stainless steel kettle for around $49.00 on Amazon. I did two full five gallon boils....works awesome! Thanks for the all the input. Tom

Back