Any thoughts on this pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aluminum is safe but not as nice as stainless steal in my opinion. For that cheap it is probably pretty flimsy so I would check it out in store. May not want to move around five gallons of boiling liquid depending on the handles. Also, if doing full volume boils and it is that cheap I'd get a 10 gallon one if they have it.

Cheap kettles are one way to save money upfront, although you eventually will probably get a nicer one. That said, if it's only $20?

I have that pot. So far I have boiled 4 batches in it and it has worked well. The sides are pretty thick and not flimsy. I put a weldless ball valve on it with no problem. It also heats pretty fast on my propane burner so that's a plus.

Overall I think it's a good deal for the price

Andrew

Aluminum is known to cause old timers so be carefull with it, but then saying that what isn't killing you. Fuzzy seems to like it so i'd give it a shot.

Stainless is a better pot.

I do agree stainless is better but in my case I wanted to make the jump from extract to all grain but money was kind of tight. In the future I will move up to stainless.

Have you checked all of your LARGE grocery stores that sell kitchen items? For example here in Michigan, I found Meijers, that I bought a 20 quart SS pot for $19.99 on sale, back when I was doing kits. Then I bought a 30 quart SS pot for $39.99(wasn't on sale) and has a basket inside.

That is a good price, you may just want to look around a little more. If you can't find any good SS prices, then go for it.

I have the 52 qt version of that pot, and it works great. Not flimsy at all. The nice thing about it (besides price) is that the steamer rack which is included works great to keep your bag off the bottom, if you biab. If you mash in a tun, just don't use the rack of course.

I'm actually picking up that pot tonight for a co-worker who I just got into homebrewing.

Don't worry about aluminum, it poses NO PROBLEMS! Stainless is nice, but if cost is an issue aluminum is great. If aluminum posed issues, restaurants all over the place wouldn't be allowed to use it, especially in the crazy cancer-awareness state of CA, so keep that in mind.

Wanna save money on SS pots? Find a salvage yard that specializes in restaurant supplies. There's usually one or two in every city. Most will have some big assed used SS stock pots for very little cash, like five bucks or less.

Have you checked all of your LARGE grocery stores that sell kitchen items? For example here in Michigan, I found Meijers, that I bought a 20 quart SS pot for $19.99 on sale, back when I was doing kits. Then I bought a 30 quart SS pot for $39.99(wasn't on sale) and has a basket inside.

That is a good price, you may just want to look around a little more. If you can't find any good SS prices, then go for it.

LOL I bought the same pots, same price at the same store within the last few months.

They both allow me to do full boils, partial mashes and even steam crab legs...:ban:

not to be rude but have you read those reports??? it shows a link between aluminum and alzheimer's. mind you, it also states that there is no hard proof that it actually causes it either. so to say "false" in the above link is wrong. it should be told the way it is, that it hasn't been proven to or proven not to cause AL. But, saying that, there are stats that show a higher level of aluminum in autopsy's of AL patience. it's something that people should think about. my wife's grandmother died with it and when she was slowing going downhill the family read nearly every report possible on the disease.

just pointing out that just because a homebrewer suggest that something is safe, doesn't mean it really is. each person should do more research to see what is actually safe or not. people posting straight out "true or false" should be careful not to mislead people.

Like i said before, we still have a big pot (aluminum) that we use for sauces and such. most studies say that pots, pan, and utensils don't give off much aluminum in your food.

I would go ahead and get it. Stainless is prettier not better. I work in the seafood industry and everyone will tell you that you MUST buy SS cause AL. does not last. Then I show them some of the AL stuff we have that gets used all day EVERY day and is about 20 years old.

PS there is no connection to Alzheimer and aluminum.

http://alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=99

the link you just posted, did you read it? don't just post random links if you can't take the time to read them. there are many more that show the connection as well. but they all have mixed results, with nothing to prove for or against. it states there are links between the two. i'm not saying that if you use a Aluminum pot your going to die from AL.

Wanna save money on SS pots? Find a salvage yard that specializes in restaurant supplies. There's usually one or two in every city. Most will have some big assed used SS stock pots for very little cash, like five bucks or less.

Five bucks? In my experience they want at least a dollar per quart.

Thinking of going to full boil if I get it. Anyone do full boils (starting with 6.5 gallons) in an 8 gallon pot? I know I would be cutting it close for boil over, just trying to gage "how close".:)

That pot will work great but can be a bit touchy for 6.5 gal full boils. We used an aluminum 32 qt. for the first year and it served us well... After we moved up to 7 gal batches it became real interesting. Times are hard but it really helps to get the biggest pot you can afford. We ended up obtaining a 15 gal ss pot and it made brewing day much more enjoyable and worry free. The 15 gal ss doesn't make better beer, just easier beer. A 10 or 15 gal aluminum pot would work just as well, but at less than $90.00 for a 15 gal ss pot, the price differences are less dramatic.... Have fun with whatever you buy...

Good enough reason to avoid aluminum in my opinion then!!
Sorry but this is just retarded. Everyone knows that is not true.

I use aluminum all the time.

Gosh I feel kind of bloated today. I wonder if these jeans make my but look big.

Oh look there goes the office queen. I see she has all her bling on today and showing the girls off.

Slut

Sorry but this is just retarded. Everyone knows that is not true.

I use aluminum all the time.

Gosh I feel kind of bloated today. I wonder if these jeans make my but look big.

Oh look there goes the office queen. I see she has all her bling on today and showing the girls off.

Slut

are you talking about me? your're TALKING ABOUT ME!

I'll be in the bathroom, crying

I just started extract brewing and live in CT. I bought a 20 qt ss pot at job lots for $14. Seems to be pretty good. Not sure if they have bigger pots but it might be worth looking into if there is a job lots near you.

I would recommend at least a 10gal if it's in your range. If you decide to upgrade to SS at some point, you can shift the Aluminum kettle over to become your HLT....that's what I did.

I'd definitely echo the recommendations for 10 gallons if you are going for 5 gallon batch full boils. I have a 9 gallon and had to cut the heat a few times yesterday while brewing a 5 gallon batch. Started with a bit over 6 gallons of water.

I say it depends on your $$$ situation. If you are stretching to buy your stuff.... it is good enough. If you have the money, I would go more toward this type of thing:

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/BREWERS-EDGE-40-QUART-BREWKETTLE-P2366C50.aspx

It is a relatively cheap 10 gallon pot with a spigot on it. There are probably others too - just an example.
I think the one piece of equipment worth spending some money on when yo start is a good pot. Let's you do full boils, plenty of room, less chance of boil over, can use it eventually for Brew in a Bag/all grain stuff. So, if you can swing it, I would invest more in a pot - a good one can be used forever, pretty much in any brewing setup you might have.

I have the smaller version of that pot, it's been working fine for me. Don't forget to prime it (or whatever the term is). Just fill with water and boil for 30 min or so.

JDGator said:
Aluminum is known to cause old timers so be carefull with it, but then saying that what isn't killing you. Fuzzy seems to like it so i'd give it a shot.

Stainless is a better pot.

This is such an overrated answer that is perpetually tossed around in here. If you thought aluminum cookware would give you Alzheimer's you would never eat any restaurant food ever again. 90% if industrial kitchens cook with nothing but aluminum cookware. I'm not sure where all this keeps getting perpetuated from. But if aluminum cookware caused Alzheimer's we'd all have it by now.

Aluminum is known to cause old timers so be carefull with it, but then saying that what isn't killing you.

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=99

A number of environmental factors have been put forward as possible contributory causes of Alzheimer's disease in some people. Among these is aluminium. There is circumstantial evidence linking this metal with Alzheimer's disease, but no causal relationship has yet been proved. As evidence for other causes continues to grow, a possible link with aluminium seems increasingly unlikely. This factsheet looks at the circumstantial evidence and current medical and scientific views.

Back