2nd brew, 1st mistake - rehydrating yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MC-Hokie

Reaction score
Boiled my 2nd batch of brew on Sunday night, an Oktoberfest style kit from True Brew. It's been 32 hours and no signs of fermentation from the airlock. Fermentation bucket is in water and steady at about 68 degrees. I know it may take up to 72 hours but my first batch was going strong after 8 hours at 70 degrees.

I just re- read Palmers steps about rehydrating yeast and realized that I added the yeast to the boiled water without letting it cool. I am afraid that I've killed my yeast. Am I done here? If so, I guess I'm off to the LHBS this afternoon for more yeast. Alternately, I have a True Brew German Style Light Kit that is up next, so could I use that yeast?

Oktoberfest kit had a packet of Coopers yeast and GSL kit has Muntons, but neither packet has much of a description.

Thanks in advance!

Was the yeast in the kit ale yeast or lager yeast? Check the kit directions for fermenting temps, if it is ale yeast your current setup is OK, but you likely need to repitch as you originally pitched too warm.

Thanks for the reply. It's an Ale kit with ale yeast.

I let the yeast and wort cool to about 80 before I pitched. I am worried though that I killed the yeast because I rehydrated it in boiled water before I let that cool.

OK. But as you imagined it is possible that you killed it. Many people keep a spare packet or three of dry yeast for these situations.

Also I haven't used dry yeast in ages, but when I did I never rehydrated. Rehydaration is another thing IMHO Palmer leads people to do that is not really needed.

I do have a 2nd packet of dry yeast, but from a different style kit from True Brew. Is it ok to use that even if different type (see original post).

should be fine. then go to lhbs and get a few packets of us05 and nottingham. i keep 2 or 3 of each in the fridge.

I think if I were in your place I may be inclined to repitch with what you have.

These yeasts with these kits are likely typical ale yeasts and not special strains and you aren't going to be entering these in competitions. I would maybe go as far as racking the second kit on top of the yeast cake from the first one when the time comes.

RDWAHAHB

Any temperature over ~80F can kill yeast within a few minutes.

Any temperature over 150F can kill yeast in seconds.

Water boils at 212F. :(

Thanks for all of the feedback. I'll use the Muntons, but should I rehydrated or just sprinkle it in? I'm worried about opening the lid and risking infection.

Will the original yeast that was killed by the boiling water just settle out? Will it produce any off flavors? I was going to leave this in primary, but now should I secondary it?

Just sprinkle. And you can secondary if you want, it is debatable that it is necessary in many cases and most likely not going to do anything about the two yeasts that you used. In fact I doubt there will be a problem with the two yeasts anyway.

Thanks for all of the feedback. I'll use the Muntons, but should I rehydrated or just sprinkle it in? I'm worried about opening the lid and risking infection.

Will the original yeast that was killed by the boiling water just settle out? Will it produce any off flavors? I was going to leave this in primary, but now should I secondary it?

Just sprinkle. Generally it is not necessary to re-hydrate dry yeast, and it can cause problems (as you now know).

The original yeast will just settle out. There is nothing you have to do (or can do) to change their fate, or remove them from the beer -- even a secondary wouldn't do anything for those li'l dead fungi.

I recommend RDWHAHB, honestly.

Sprinkle or re-hydrate - (many here pick one method and swear by it). I sprinkle dry into the wort. Yes, opening the airlock is risky on unfermented sweet wort, but you don't really have a choice.

the dead yeast are probably already sitting on the bottom - no worries.

Leave it in the primary for 4 weeks, keep it at 65F -or lower-, and all will be well. You will have beer.

Open, sprinkle, close. Just like making love. Ok that wasn't even funny. Maybe a little funny.

Any temperature over ~80F can kill yeast within a few minutes.

Not true at all. Most yeast are actually happiest and most active within 5 degrees of 100F. If you've ever accidentally let your fermentation temps get too high you'll have seen this first hand. The proper temperature for re-hydrating yeast is 95-105F.

I prefer to re-hydrate in warm water, as I believe it causes less stress to the yeast. Here's what one of the scientists at Lallemand / Danstar has to say about yeast re-hydration-

Let me give you some facts regarding rehydration and you can decide for yourself where you want to compromise. Every strain of yeast has its own optimum rehydration temperature. All of them range between 95 F to 105F. Most of them closer to 105F. The dried yeast cell wall is fragile and it is the first few minutes (possibly seconds) of rehydration that the warm temperature is critical while it is reconstituting its cell wall structure.

As you drop the initial temperature of the water from 95 to 85 or 75 or 65F the yeast leached out more and more of its insides damaging the each cell. The yeast viability also drops proportionally. At 95 - 105 F, there is 100% recovery of the viable dry yeast. At 60F, there can be as much as 60% dead cells.

The water should be tap water with the normal amount of hardness present. The hardness is essential for good recovery. 250 -500 ppm hardness is ideal. This means that deionized or distilled water should not be used. Ideally, the warm rehydration water should contain about 0.5 - 1.0% yeast extract.

For the initial few minutes (perhaps seconds) of rehydration, the yeast cell wall cannot differentiate what passes through the wall. Toxic materials like sprays, hops, SO2 and sugars in high levels, that the yeast normally can selectively keep from passing through its cell wall rush right in and seriously damage the cells. The moment that the cell wall is properly reconstituted, the yeast can then regulate what goes in and out of the cell. That is why we hesitate to recommend rehydration in wort or must. Very dilute wort seems to be OK.

We recommend that the rehydrated yeast be added to the wort within 30 minutes. We have built into each cell a large amount of glycogen and trehalose that give the yeast a burst of energy to kick off the growth cycle when it is in the wort. It is quickly used up if the yeast is rehydrated for more than 30 minutes. There is no damage done here if it is not immediately add to the wort. You just do not get the added benefit of that sudden burst of energy. We also recommend that you attemperate the rehydrated yeast to with in 15F of the wort before adding to the wort. Warm yeast into a cold wort will cause many of the yeast to produce petite mutants that will never grow or ferment properly and will cause them to produce H2S. The attemperation can take place over a very brief period by adding, in encrements, a small amount of the cooler wort to the rehydrated yeast.

Many times we find that warm water is added to a very cold container that drops the rehydrating water below the desired temperature.

Sometimes refrigerated, very cold, dry yeast is added directly to the warm water with out giving it time to come to room temperature. The initial water intering the cell is then cool.

How do many beer and wine makers have successful fermentations when they ignore all the above? I believe that it is just a numbers game. Each gram of Active Dry Yeast contains about 20 billion live yeast cells. If you slightly damage the cells, they have a remarkable ability to recover in the rich wort. If you kill 60% of the cell you still have 8 billion cells per gram that can go on to do the job at a slower rate.

The manufacturer of Active Dry Beer Yeast would be remiss if they offered rehydration instructions that were less than the very best that their data indicated.

One very important factor that the distributor and beer maker should keep in mind is that Active Dry Yeast is dormant or inactive and not inert, so keep refrigerated at all times. Do not store in a tin roofed warehouse that becomes an oven or on a window sill that gets equally hot.

Active Dry Yeast looses about 20% of its activity in a year when it is stored at 75 F and only 4% when refrigerated.

The above overview of rehydration should tell you that there is a very best way to rehydrate. It should also tell you where you are safe in adapting the rehydration procedure to fit your clients.

just sprinkle in. no need to re-hydrate. I've been brewing competition quality stuff for years and have never bothered with hydration. it's a myth.

you worry too much :)

people have sneezed, spit, dropped dirty utensils in the bucket...even fermented with no lid or airlock...and the beer is fine.

If you can't open the lid without infecting it, how are you taking hydrometer samples? racking after primary? etc?

Relax! Sprinkle the Munton's on top, and wait 72 hours. You might wanna re-oxygenate too.

I almost always do a secondary to get nice clear beer, so I vote to secondary, regardless of the extra yeast in the bottom. You'd have to leave it in primary for months to get off-flavors from the dead yeast.

Not true at all. Most yeast are actually happiest and most active within 5 degrees of 100F. If you've ever accidentally let your fermentation temps get too high you'll have seen this first hand. The proper temperature for re-hydrating yeast is 95-105F.

My mistake!

Latest posts

Back