I've Been Banned after Ruining a $1000 Stovetop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halvey

Reaction score
Well my brewdays are now going to be outdoors or in the garage after ruining a Stainless Steel Stovetop with my 2009 IPA last night.

The pot must have gotten too hot and now there is brown/black discoloration on the stove.

Doesn't the name Stainless Steel imply that it's STAINLESS??

:(

My #1 rule when brewing in the house is to ensure I don't leave a mess for SWMBO. She has no problem with my brewing because my brewing is no problem to her. Unfortunately even if you cleaned up the stove top she already sees brewing as a source of destruction of her beloved kitchen. Buy a Banjo.

Try some Bar Keepers Friend on the discoloration. It's worked for me in the past on discolored stainless.

BTW, being banished to the garage is a good thing.

You can try a super fine grit sand paper, wetted with some starsan solution. It will easily take off that discoloring, but if your stainless is brushed, it will probably disrupt the brushed design. It won't leave any scratches if you use a fine sand paper. Try it on stainless pot first though. Don't use sandpaper if your stove top is highly polished or brushed.

REDEMPTION with the barkeepers friend!!!
It came off- just changed the brushed pattern a little.

But I'm still banned from the kitchen- oh well I wanted to move to the garage anyway!

I do not not have a stainless stove and I live alone but I do do all my boiling in the garage on a Banjo anyway. There is no want I am setting a keggle on an electric stove. It would take a lifetime to boil, and prolly ruin the stove

I'm lucky. My wife can't and won't cook so the stove top is mine to do with as I please. Needles to say it gets sticky with beer every few weeks =)

I'm lucky. My wife can't and won't cook so the stove top is mine to do with as I please. Needles to say it gets sticky with beer every few weeks =)

I am in the same boat as you. Though I am not sure if it is 'lucky' or not.

Gee, must be something about the end of 2008... I got banned last night too! I've been really careful to clean up after myself, but apparently it wasn't to SWMBO's satisfaction so I go the word no more cooking on the stove. Might just be be the push I need to actually clean out the garage, or build an electric keggle for the basement ( I think I'm leaning in that direction, the damned garage is freakin' cccccold!)

Since you cleaned it up, you should tell your wife that you can spend the $1000 on brewing equipment, right? Tell her you need to put it toward a brew sculpture so you never have to brew in the kitchen again...

Since you cleaned it up, you should tell your wife that you can spend the $1000 on brewing equipment, right? Tell her you need to put it toward a brew sculpture so you never have to brew in the kitchen again...

Haha... that sounds like a good idea. But somehow I don't think its gonna go over very well.

BTW.... Happy New Years Everybody- May the next year bring many tasty brews to all of us!!

I have'nt technically been banned, but I have heard some very STRONG hints !!!

Well my brewdays are now going to be outdoors or in the garage after ruining a Stainless Steel Stovetop with my 2009 IPA last night.

The pot must have gotten too hot and now there is brown/black discoloration on the stove.

Doesn't the name Stainless Steel imply that it's STAINLESS??

:(

:( Stainless doesn't protect against heat treatment. :(

I got banned from momma's kitchen when my first batch caused the glass top on her stove to shatter. Not only was the stove unusable, but it took 6 weeks to get fixed. SWMBO is more understanding and lets me brew on the stove, but i think she is just angling for something to happen that justifies a new kitchen makeover.

BTW - you guys are pathetic!! banned from YOUR kitchen?? I guess we know who does all the cooking!!! Serves you right for not cooking.

Two words: Black Ceramic. "Oh, is that a scorch mark? Heck, just looks like the black stovetop to me, dear." :)

Of course, good luck getting much more than 3 gallons to boil before the little sensor kicks off the heating element to prevent you from damaging the stove top.

Like many others, I fail to see the problem. You are going to get a burner, brew in the peace and quiet of the garage and do full wort boils Your wife does know you'll need a burner and a bigger pot doesn't she?

Lemon juice should take it right off. I have a six burner stainless griddle (weighs about 100lbs) I use straight lemon juice and I can get he whole thing clean in less then 10 minutes(this after it is completely scorched and black).

Back