Ordering grain online

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modenacart

Reaction score
Where are people ordering grain online? I just got a mill and would like to find a cheaper source of grain, now paying about $80/55lbs for pale ale malt. I brew mostly English beer but willing to consider what people think are good subs.

Thanks.

I use Northern Brewer, but I don't know how their prices compare. I don't buy 55# sacks, though...if I get those, I buy through my LHBS.

Try this link. They have a warehouse in the Northeast and another warehouse in Chicago. Our homebrew club ordered a pallet of grain from them. Great service.

Home Brewers

Try this link. They have a warehouse in the Northeast and another warehouse in Chicago. Our homebrew club ordered a pallet of grain from them. Great service.

Home Brewers

Wish I could. If I knew more people in the area, i would do a bulk order.

That works out to be about $58 for a domestic two-row which isn't very competitive if you ask me. A domestic two-row should be closer to $40.

The place above is awesome, but is really only practical in these cases for pick-up. Less than $40 for Golden Promise and Marris Otter. Domestic two-row is only about $32. Pilsner is about $36 and Munich and Vienna are about $40 each.

A bunch of us do group buys from there, but it's only about a 45 min. drive for me, so it's not a big deal.

On topic: Try and find either a homebrew store near you, or a brewpub and ask to purchase bags of grain from them, or if they can include you in on their grain purchase for a couple of bags.

On topic: Try and find either a homebrew store near you, or a brewpub and ask to purchase bags of grain from them, or if they can include you in on their grain purchase for a couple of bags.

There is a homebrew store here, but Marris Otter is about 90 dollars a bag from him after tax. If I order from the warehouse, shipped, it looks like it would be 70 dollars, so I would still save around 20 dollars so not bad compared to what we have here.

That works out to be about $58 for a domestic two-row which isn't very competitive if you ask me. A domestic two-row should be closer to $40.

The place above is awesome, but is really only practical in these cases for pick-up. Less than $40 for Golden Promise and Marris Otter. Domestic two-row is only about $32. Pilsner is about $36 and Munich and Vienna are about $40 each.

A bunch of us do group buys from there, but it's only about a 45 min. drive for me, so it's not a big deal.

Yeah - we ordered a pallet of grain, so shipping was only about $8 per bag. I still think that North Country may be a good option for a lot of brewers, as Maris Otter prices are very high at the two local homebrew supply stores in my area.

How many bags on a pallet?

I was quoted "40 bags on a pallet" - the order was actually on three pallets when it arrived. North Country Malt has a flat shipping rate - so it makes sense to order 40 bags to knockdown the per bag shipping cost. Ask around and see if you can find some other home brewers who want bulk malt. You should be able to save some money, even if you don't order 40 bags.

buy from local homebrew store, support your local business and get it at same price or cheaper is my opinion

Back