Cider Kits...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clown573

Reaction score
What is the best to get and what is ACTUALLY in them!?
what else do i need to purchase

im a newbie to all this and just decided wanna give it a go

clown573 said:
What is the best to get and what is ACTUALLY in them!?
what else do i need to purchase

im a newbie to all this and just decided wanna give it a go

I don't know about all cider kits but all that was in my last one was apple juice concentrate. But it still worked out far cheaper than buying the equivalent amount of apple juice/AJ concentrate...and it came with yeast.

You'll want to add about 1 kg of dextrose, maybe more depending on how much alcohol you want. And some cider or ale yeast, possible champagne yeast if you want a really dry cider.

I don't know if you have the rest of the equipment but seeing as you posted that link with the barrell and and stuff I'll assume you don't.

The equipment that is essential is:

* Fermenting barrel (food grade plastic) that can hold more than 5 gallons/24 L
* A lid for this barrel that is air tight, and an air lock.
* A tap for the barrel
* A bottling cane
* Bottle capper
* Bottle caps
* Bottles
* Sanitising solution (household bleach can be used if you have to)
* Hydrometer - not essential but handy to have, interesting too.

I think that's pretty much it.

You could try that kit - you will have fun.
Next time you'd probably be better finding a local home brew shop to get equipment and decent yeast (neither will cost you the earth) and thinking about using 'real' apple juice (if you can find it or crush your own) or concentrate. You'll continue having fun and you'll also be able to taste the improvements in your brews.

What Caplan said. There's nothing to making cider. We used to make it every year by pressing a bunch of apples and tossing in champagne yeast. That's it. There's no need for a kit. It's the simplest fermented beverage you can possibly make. The end quality is all about the quality of juice you use, so look for a good local organic apple grower who sells cider. At harvest time, you can usually find some great stuff.

Cheers :D

Yeah Janx is right the quality in effects the quality of end product, however if you don't have and handy apple growers the kits are fine but a bit of extra apple juice in the mix never goes astray and adds to the flavour.
Have fun

I agree with Caplan, CIder is BEYOND easy. The hardest part of making cider is to force yourself to wait the appropriate length of time befor ya drink it. If you try and drink it too early you are gonna be VERY disapointed. I almost threw my first batch out because it tasted like absolute dog **** but let it sit a bit longer and WOW it's great now.

Your best bet is to wait until fall and find a orchard somewhere and wait for them to start seling their jucie/non hard cider at low prices. Buy up a bunch then make your cider and make your hard cider. Let it sit all winter and spring so when summer rolls around you'll be in hard cider heven.

I'm getting ready to make another batch real soon so I have some for the fall as we speak AND made a special batch last fall that will sit until Christmas this year befor I open any.

:mug:

Pumbaa said:
I agree with Caplan, CIder is BEYOND easy. The hardest part of making cider is to force yourself to wait the appropriate length of time befor ya drink it. If you try and drink it too early you are gonna be VERY disapointed. I almost threw my first batch out because it tasted like absolute dog **** but let it sit a bit longer and WOW it's great now.

How long is that? I made some back in October and it tasted awful also. I haven't had one since January. Do you think it's good yet?

It should be good now, given that nothing else when awry. I made my last batch of cider in October as well.

One thing that I've been told by several folks who have tried my hard cider: if you go in expecting a beer or a 'commercial cider beverage' flavor, that first sip can throw you off. However, every person who has taking a second quaff of the cider (especially if it is warm outside) has sucked it down like it was going out of style. This is why I am now down to 1/2 liters. :(

My cider was made just like someone else suggested: bought fresh apple juice from an orchard and pitched Wyeast's champagne yeast at it. A couple months later I had an awesome summer beverage.

This year I'm going to buy 3 new corney kegs and make 15 gallons of the stuff. Maybe there will be a little left for May next year.

Back