Help Needed on a Wedding Cherry Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EinGutesBier

Reaction score
Hey guys, I need some input. I'm about to tread unfamiliar territory here. SWMBO's friend is getting hitched in June and I've been commissioned to make a wedding beer for her. It sounds like she wants something light and fairly crisp and full of cherries. So the idea is to use some maraschino cherries in the process. I'm pretty sure I'll be asked to put a cherry in each bottle.

I just have a few questions on this, though. Is there an ideal time to use the cherry juice during fermentation or is it not the best sugar for yeast? Should I use this juice before bottling instead? If so, how much for a 5 gallon batch? Finally, are there any recipes out there for a SA Cherry Wheat clone? I understand that's the one I want this to be similar to. Ideally, I'd like for it to be hitting peak quality around June, so I figure I'm not too late on this.

I swear this isn't for me. :cross:

Wheats are ready quite quickly, so no worries on that. As for 'a cherry in every bottle' I would say that might not be a brilliant idea. I'd garnish each glass with one if necessary, but I wouldn't want a decomposing fruit in my bottle.

Put cherries/cherry puree in secondary for about a week, then rack off the fruit and bottle. I recommend about 1# per gallon, YMMV - some do less, some do more. I would think you'd need at least 1/2# per gallon to get any flavor.

Don't use extract. Cherry extract is rumored to taste like cough syrup.

jezter6 said:
Wheats are ready quite quickly, so no worries on that. As for 'a cherry in every bottle' I would say that might not be a brilliant idea. I'd garnish each glass with one if necessary, but I wouldn't want a decomposing fruit in my bottle.

Put cherries/cherry puree in secondary for about a week, then rack off the fruit and bottle. I recommend about 1# per gallon, YMMV - some do less, some do more. I would think you'd need at least 1/2# per gallon to get any flavor.

Don't use extract. Cherry extract is rumored to taste like cough syrup.
Hey, thanks for the info, jezter. Are you saying that the maraschino cherry juice is pretty much the same as cherry extract? If so, I'll just do a fruit puree.

I would say that NOTHING is the same as extract. Cherry extract is fake and is chemically made to simluate cherry flavor.

Not sure if maraschinos are the right kind, but I know out at my LHBS they sell cans of good "pie filling" cherry that with a little mashing up would go nicely. When I did my strawberry and raspberry beers, I just took frozen fruit and mashed it up with my potato masher over heat for 15 minutes to make sure any bad bugs got killed. Turned out GREAT! Never tried with cherry, but I've heard bad bad things about fruit extracts and cherry in particular.

I would personally say that maraschino cherries are way too candy-like and artificial and would cause a cloyingly sweet beer. Use real cherries/puree if you want a cherry beer.

Here is my input to your problem. Figure out how much cherry flavor you want. Add fresh cherries to whatever wort you're using between 160 - 180 F for 15 minutes to pasturize, but not set the pectin of the fruit. If you want even more cherry taste then rack it on top of the puree. I think I'm on the side of everyone else as far as bottling it with a cherry in the bottle, but the question is this: How long will it be sitting before the wedding in the bottle? If it will be a fairly new beer and it won't be sitting long I say "go for it." If it will be sitting around for a while I'm not sure at that point. The alcohol should act as a preservitive, but it's not strong enough to last for a long time.

By the way if it is a wedding beer what is the ABV that you are shooting for?

I think the bride to be just wants a nice, light refreshing ale that has some good cherry flavor. I imagine anything between 4-5% would be just fine. Also, I'm planning on brewing this in time to have it ready and conditioned for her June wedding. I think we could probably do the cherry in the bottle because it won't be sitting for long if you get my drift, heh.

I think the bride to be just wants a nice, light refreshing ale that has some good cherry flavor. I imagine anything between 4-5% would be just fine. Also, I'm planning on brewing this in time to have it ready and conditioned for her June wedding. I think we could probably do the cherry in the bottle because it won't be sitting for long if you get my drift, heh.

Was this beer to simulate "popping her cherry" on her wedding night?:ban:

joking;)

seriously did you make this? what recipe? How did it tuurn out?

Back