Painful Beginner misatke!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheeto

Born again N00b
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
well I have been very proactive on the cleaning and sanitizing thing

I bottled 4 gallons tonight and then started the clean up

3 cups of bleach 2 oz of PLC and 3tsp of BTF

for one carboy, a 5 gallon bucket and all the racking tubes ...............

Well I am alergic to Iodine!!!! :cross:

?Anyone see the problem yet...?

needless to say I was reaching in to the 5 gallon bucket wich was half full

of BTF and warm water, and I all of a sudden felt dizzy and weak

I stepped away for a few then got right back to it.

I finished the cleaning and sanitizing, and set everything out to dry

My wife walks in the door and points at me
"OMFG what is wrong with you "

My arms were covered in a large rash and my face was very odd colored

after about a 1/2 a dozen of benadryl and a long rest on the couch the only thing I have left is a headache similar to the one I had the morning after my 21st birthday

I guess I should of read the fine print on the bottles !!!

OOPS

I hate to pile on... or kick a guy when he's down, but I see another dumb mistake as well...

Unless you are some sort of chemist or really know what you are doing, DO NOT MIX CLEANING PRODUCTS!!!!!

Who the hell knows what you will create? It could be dangerous. One product could also neutralize the other, rendering your concoction worthless. We have many different sanitizers. Find one you like and stick with it. I see nothing to gain from mixing and matching.

That sucks! I'd second the recommendation to switch to StarSan. It's a great product and as long as the bubbles don't freak you out it will serve you well.
If the foam freaks you out you can use

Saniclean is an acid-based sanitizer that is essentially the same as Star San, but without the foaming action. The contact time is longer than with Star San (2-3 minutes) and you need to use twice as much (2 oz. per 5 gallons). Use for spray bottles, circulation sanitizing with a pump, or other applications where lots of foam is undesirable.

Some people think StarSan is expensive but a little really does go a long way. It is so easy to use and in your circumstances it will be well worth the investment.

I'm a full fledge card carrying member of the Star San club... recent convert, but I will not go back!! Easy to use with full confidence. Highly recommend it!

deadhorse.gif

+1000 to StarSan. When needed, mix up 2.5gal in a bucket (instead of 5 gal), otherwise, just carry a spray bottle with pre-mixed StarSan in it. These two tips will help you to offset the (sometimes) high cost of StarSan.

Other than that, I highly recommend buying in bulk from Northern/Midwest/etc. Most places carry 32 oz for $11.95. Should last you over a year.

Dgriff said:
Isn't Star San an Iodine based sanitizer? I wonder if you will still be allergic to that.

No, that would be Iodophor.

StarSan is based on Phosphoric Acid and one other kind of acid.

Back