Green/Fresh hopping advice/ Brewing now!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8string

Reaction score
Decided to harvest my still green but very large hops since I must leave for the next few months. The mash is in and Im brewing on a total whim. Used the rest of my 2 row and, well here it is (mashing as I type).

8 lbs 2 row
1 lb crystal 60
1 lb Crystal 40
.5 lb nut brown
.5 old fashioned oats

Thinking of using 1 oz nugget 11.8% for bittering. then massive amounts (3-4 oz)
green fresh hops straight from vine to kettle. I read a BYO article that said use them for aroma. I expect a grassy aroma. Im quite experimental so I was wondering if I shouldnt just use all fresh hops for the whole brew to see how it turns out. (I already know I dont really like nugget but I have a lot of it.) I think it could provide bittering with only 1 0z in case the fresh hops didnt pan out.

PS i dont know what kind of hops they are (prob. cascade) as I bought the plant at a farmers market a few years ago. They have a good herbal taste and mild aroma, but not very bitter.

Anyone have any ideas please chime in.

Sure buddy,

You should use 1 oz nugget with 3 oz freshies for bittering. then stagger 5-6 oz fresh hops in throughout the last 5 minutes for aroma. I am curious how the oatmeal will turn out. Let me know.

Well its a beautiful deep red color and bubbling away on a Northwest Ale yeast cake.
It taste great at 1.040. Thanks so much for the advice.

Back