Freezing Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkhntnfsh

Reaction score
I harvested about 2 lbs. of hops this year. After drying, I sealed them in storage bags. I immediatly put them in my freezer.
My question is how long will they last in the freezer. I usually use fresh Hops to Dry Hop.

I harvested about 2 lbs. of hops this year. After drying, I sealed them in storage bags. I immediatly put them in my freezer.
My question is how long will they last in the freezer. I usually use fresh Hops to Dry Hop.

If you vacuum sealed them, they'll last a long time. In just regular zip-loc bags, not quite as long.

I just used some vacuum sealed cascade 2011 today. They smelled great, and were nice and green. When the aroma starts to fade, or they turn color, or start to smell "off", then it's too late to use them.

If you use them for dry hopping, will you get any off flavors? Or worst case scenario, just not the flavor and aroma you were expecting?

carsonwarstler said:
If you use them for dry hopping, will you get any off flavors? Or worst case scenario, just not the flavor and aroma you were expecting?

... If they'd been in a non-vacuumed sealed bag for a year or so.

Back