I just coughed in my braggot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonofgrok

n00basaurus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How awesome is that? Opened it up for a gravity reading this morning and the second the smell hit me I coughed right into it. Hopefully enough alcohol in there already to kill any bacteria I might have coughed into it...

And yeah... its tastes like gasoline. This one is a LONG way from being drinkable.

The nice thing about braggot is that if you have hops in there you have a trifold shield against infection. Hops, high alcohol, and natural anti bacterial honey behavior

You would think so but you still need to be careful. More so than a strait mead. I handled my bragott just like my meads rather than how I do wines and after alegume into bulk aging and a few taste tests I noticed bacterial infection. Totally soured the whole thing. It was a sad day for bragotts world wide.

So if you are done with fermentation and just bulk aging I would say hit it with a dose of Camden tablets. But that's just me from my parinoid state after my bragott loss.

Back