American Pale Ale Lake Walk Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dude said:
So...those of you that have brewed this and drank it...what is your opinion on the bitterness vs. what the software says? Do you agree with me that the software kind of goes overboard?

BTW, I officially edited the recipe to eliminate the Centennial. I still may use Centennial again someday, but during the hop crisis, it is gone.

Well, I LOVE this recipe, and made it as written in the original. In my opinion, I think it's an IPA, rather than APA. The bitterness was present and I thought it was a great beer. Still, I would have thought it was an IPA rather than APA. That's not a criticism, you know- that is actually my favorite style of beer.

Yoops - Dude and I have had the same discussion. I think we both decided it was more of an IPA, but Lake Walk Pale Ale just has a nice ring to it.

Did I capture the discussion right, Dude?

Yuri_Rage said:
Yoops - Dude and I have had the same discussion. I think we both decided it was more of an IPA, but Lake Walk Pale Ale just has a nice ring to it.

Did I capture the discussion right, Dude?

Yep.

I still don't the think the gravity is enough to call it an IPA though. The bitterness, yes, it fits.

Ever think about raising the malt a pound or so? Make it a full oz of Amarillo @ 60?

I think it's the large amount of late additions that add to that great soft/round bitterness it has. Of course, I've only tried my hydro sample...but I expected it to be much more bitter. Looking forward to drinking this one. :mug:

Dude wrote:
I still don't the think the gravity is enough to call it an IPA though. The bitterness, yes, it fits.
This was one of the beers I had on tap for our Easter get-together. Despite the name, I described it to people as an IPA. Regardless of the alcohol content, calling it an IPA is a good way to serve warning to BMC drinkers. In fairness to Dude, my efficiency wasn’t what I wanted and this most likely made for higher hop utilization on top of an already hoppy brew.

Of the four beers on tap, LWPA was the biggest hit. I’ll have to brew this one again real soon.

I brewed this waaayy back in 2005 and it turned out great. It was my 2nd all grain brew. Here was our discussion at the time, if you want a blast from the past! Back then, it was definitely an APA, IMHO. Now that you've done some tweaking to it, I'm gonna have to try the updated recipe.

I've been meaning to brew it again, but you know how it is... so many beers, so little time! I need to do it soon, as it will be perfect for the summer months.

I just added the dry hops to mine last night, but didn't have any simcoe so I added something else. Planning on racking into a keg next weekend and adding gas. The hydro sample from last week rocked, so I'm sure I'm in for a good beer.

I would really like to try this but I haven't graduated to all grain yet. I just don't have the space where I currently live. I have been looking for a pale ale with the simcoe/amarillo blend and think this would be a great one to try. Does anyone have an extract recipe for this?

I would say this is on the low end of and IPA or high end of a APA. from simply the taste I woulds say it is a APA. It really is smooth and is not too bitter very early..

J

Dude
I see you pulled the Centennial off the first page recipe. Can you remind me what the additions were. I omitted them from ProMash to see effect, but didn't write them down.

Thanks

Why did LWPA have to be my first gusher batch........ :mad:

5 days after bottling with 3/4 cup corn sugar i opened one and had a slow gusher.
I tried another one and it didn't spill over the lip, but this can't be good.

I threw half my batch in the fridge. Would have put more in if I could fit it in there.
Guess I'll just wait and see.

Ok ok...false alarm. First time I had a gusher on a young beer so I thought the worst. Beer is fine.

Yes, I jumped the gun. Yes, I'm fine with that.

I...am enlightened.

Great beer. A very nice representation of what a true American Pale Ale should be. The yeast leaves this beer very clean as it should. Excellent hop flavor and ass-kicking aroma with a pleasing amber color. It has a soft bitterness due to the late hop additions which makes it more APA than IPA as far as I'm concerned. Jebus, I can drink this all night.

The only way I can think to improve this beer is to add a bit more malt/caramel sweetness to balance it a bit and fill it out just a touch. But, this is me being picky.

Dude, you hit a home run.

Brew this. :mug:

I am sitting on 10 gallons of this.

Last night I took a growler to my Homebrew Club and it swept the balloting and garnered a Home Brewer of the Month Award!

Thanks Dude!

I am sitting on 10 gallons of this.

Last night I took a growler to my Homebrew Club and it swept the balloting and garnered a Home Brewer of the Month Award!

Thanks Dude!

Congrats olllllo & Dude!

Perhaps it is Lake Walk Session IPA.

Congrats olllllo & Dude!

Perhaps it is Lake Walk Session IPA.

Way to go!!

I get rave reviews from my club members and will bring it to the June meeting as an APA. I will say that 3 BJCP judges thought it wasn't assertive enough on the pallete hops as an IPA when i entered it in a major contest. I am definitely calling this an APA as Dude suggests from now on. IBU's be damned, this is an American Pale Ale extraordinaire!

Gonna give this one a whirl tomorrow in celebration of the 4th of July. Subbing in Victory for the toasted pale though because I don't have time to toast it tonight.. Anyone see a problem with that?

Gonna give this one a whirl tomorrow in celebration of the 4th of July. Subbing in Victory for the toasted pale though because I don't have time to toast it tonight.. Anyone see a problem with that?

Well, since you asked.....I substituted biscuit for one batch, and while I think it's fine to do, you need to back way off on the quantity.

Well, since you asked.....I substituted biscuit for one batch, and while I think it's fine to do, you need to back way off on the quantity.

Well I wound up subbing in 2 lbs of victory.. We'll see how it comes out now.. Too late to change it since I'm about 10 minutes from sparge now..

I have to give a big thanks to Dude for this recipe. I brewed this up and it was a big hit at our homebrew meeting yesterday. I had it on tap for our motorcycle club picnic yesterday also, and it didn't even last the day. I did play with the hops a little and used Centennial, Amarillo, Simco, and Summit. Beersmith had it at 39 IBUs on the Rager scale. It seemed very balanced with a huge hop flavor and aroma. Mine dried out a little more also, it went down to 1.008 from 1.055. This was my wifes favorite beer so far and will become a regular at our house.

I just transferred this to secondary. I could not get the hops that you called for so I went with Amarillo and Simcoe. Here is the recipe I ended up using, I tasted the sample from my hydrometer and wow is it hoppy.

5g Batch

4.40 lb Amber Liquid Extract (12.5 SRM) Extract 46.81 %
2.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 21.28 %
2.00 lb Toasted Malt (18.0 SRM) Grain 21.28 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.32 %
0.50 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 5.32 %
1.00 oz Amarillo [8.00 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
0.75 oz Amarillo [8.00 %] (60 min) Hops 21.4 IBU
0.75 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (20 min) Hops 21.0 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo [8.00 %] (5 min) Hops 5.7 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (5 min) Hops 9.2 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

I just had the pleasure of being gifted a growler of Ballast Point Sculpin. I was thinking this has some similarity to my beloved Lakewalk and thought I would share this with the group. It's an IPA, but ever so smooth drinking with the unmistakable Amarillo/Simcoe combination. Not sure what else is there (probably Colombus, Centennial), but if you get a chance, you should try it. It has an unbelievably extravagant aroma. I heard rumor a Homebrewer brewed this for them.

Best
KD

Has anyone tried moving any of the hop additions to FWH? Not that there is much room for improvement in this beer, but I was just wondering since lots of good beers seem to be FWHing lately.

Still learning, so don't eat me alive, but why are you using Amarillo for bittering? Wouldn't a higher-alpha hop (used in less quantity) be better? Is it just to keep the hops simpler (only 2 types)? Is it because the bittering hop is still providing flavor? Or is it because Amarillo provides a "smoother" bittering (unsure what this means at this point) and don't some other higher alpha hops do the same (e.g. Magnum)?
Just wondering because Amarillo is currently more expensive than other hops at my LHBS.

Thanks.

Is it because the bittering hop is still providing flavor? Or is it because Amarillo provides a "smoother" bittering (unsure what this means at this point) Just wondering because Amarillo is currently more expensive than other hops at my LHBS.
Thanks.

Can't speak for the Dude, but the answer to these questions is yes.

I have a bunch of Maris Otter. Anyone brew this with MO yet? I'm thinking of trying a hop tea for my next batch as an experiment in secondary. Anybody?

BTW, I over toasted my pale a bit last batch and beer was darker and obviously toastier. It didn't suck but I won't repeat it.

KD

Brewing a modified LW today. Just got my Freshops shipment in, so adding aback Centennial. Going to use Maris Otter for base malt and WY1272 for the yeast. Just for kicks.

I now have Centennial, Amarillo, and thanks to trading with HarvinSTL, 2 oz of precious Simcoe. Looks like LWPA is in my near future. Hmmmm.

CRAP!
I had my times messed up on my hop additions, so I added some more Amarillo at 60 mins.
BTP is telling me I am looking at 57 IBU!!!!
Wat I am looking at taste wise after this mistake???

Back