Show us your Mead in a photo!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A JAO BOMM, started first week of December. Racked off the fruit just after Christmas. It took a bit of work to make it clear (pectic enzyme, SuperKleer, cold crash) but after 3 weeks it looks to be ready for bottling. I need to do that soon so I can recover the gallon jug for a secondary on the cyser that's i the background.

24197135749_ed05813b32_z.jpg

Strawberry mead. Started in May 2015, and bottled tonight. This wouldn't fit in the bottles. :)

I did strawberry additions at three different times in the process. It's a tough delicate fruit to work with.

20160124_221523-1.jpg

EcT5HTM.jpg

Left to right:
Clover Sack Mead just pitched today 1/28/16
Apple Pie Cyser started 12/7/15
Solera Bochet Project Brew - Caramelized Vanilla Braggot/Bochet started 1/2/16
Orange Melomel 12/4/15

18lb Wildflower honey Lalvlin E1118 Champaign Yeast 4 pounds of Cranberries and 4 Pounds of Cuties in secondary with 1 oz Medium roast oak cubes for 2 weeks and 5 to 6 Cups or so brewed Black Tea after this pic was taken to remove head space for bulk aging. Looks amazing - currently at 17.0 ABV and tastes pretty darned good for being so young! Will age well.

Cran orange Mead.jpg

Plain mead with 4 litres of Springbrook Falls water, 1.36kg of Rowse honey and Safale S-33 Belgian ale yeast. Gravity was 1.076 but that would have increased somewhat due to the addition of a higher-gravity honey and water mixture used to top up the jug (due to the undesirable headspace in there) making it somewhere around the 1.080 mark.

I added two vitamin B1 tablets on the first day and a 1/4 of a teaspoon of Youngs Yeast Nutrient (Diammonium Phosphate and Ammonium Sulphate) each of the first four days of fermentation, bringing it to 1tsp.

Fermentation started within 24 hours, gave off sulphur odours on the second day but on the third day after aerating and degassing with an egg whisk it was smelling sweet and floral.

image.jpg

That sounds awesome! Care to share the recipe?

We juiced Melon and cucumber, but we should have peeled the cucumbers as it is a bit salty, I can't remember how much of it we used, but other than that it was a traditional brew with just honey, d47 and deer park spring water. I hope it works better next time. It is refreshing, but if it was less salty it would be more enjoyable.

We juiced Melon and cucumber, but we should have peeled the cucumbers as it is a bit salty, I can't remember how much of it we used, but other than that it was a traditional brew with just honey, d47 and deer park spring water. I hope it works better next time. It is refreshing, but if it was less salty it would be more enjoyable.

Sounds great for a late summer drink.

That sounds awesome! Care to share the recipe?

Cyser started 12/26/15. It was about 3 qts of FG 1.000 cider that was left from a gallon used as top up. Too much for a 1/2 gallon jug, not enough for a gallon. So I added honey in 4 steps and let the 71B wake up. Also have a cinnamon stick and a piece of nutmeg in there. Should be about 48 gravity points added to the 1.050 that the cider started with. Down to 1.005 now and still bubbling after 47 days. Hope this finishes up soon so I can cold crash and rack it for aging.

24973148036_027853c47c_z.jpg

Its hard to explain. It has the basic "I was made from honey" back drop. The key lime part is noticeable but not all up in your face like the pie. Its one of those things that the subtle flavour comes out after a second or two. I like it even though I can't describe the flavour very well. Got the recipe from a mag. The guy won first prize for this recipe which is why I tried it. It has aged about 2.5 years now.

Cyser cold crashed for a week to clear. Finished at 1.002 so should be a bit over 12% ABV. Tastes of Orange Blossom honey and nutmeg, and smells like apples. Racked off the lees and only got a bit under 3 quarts, so I topped it off using some finished 1.000 cider. The dilution should put it at about 10%.

25288843196_5a3b59c707_z.jpg

Topped off and added 1/2 oz of medium American oak cubes. This will get kegged and carbed in a few weeks.

25221962041_2e20cd4508_z.jpg

Ready to bottle 3 gallons:
enKtP4y.jpg

Left to right: Cinnamon/Vanilla mead, Prickly Pear mead, Traditional mead

I started this as a 3 gallon batch of traditional mead and let that ferment for 50 days. At secondary I racked into three 1 gallon carboys , two of which contained some additions. I made a tincture with a cinnamon stick and a vanilla bean and pitched that into one. I added 4 cups of prickly pear puree to the second and left the third alone.

I racked to tertiary after 48 days and then bottled after an additional 68 days for a total of 166 days of fermentation/aging.

They're still a little hot so I'll keep them in the closet for another 6 months or so. It resulted in 12 bombers and 3 pint bottles.

Racking my dwarf invasion clone off of the dry hop stage and onto some honey for back sweetening

0l9siDw.jpg

It tastes amazing!
oRW9T3I.jpg

I'll let this age for another month or so and then it'll be bottling time

C3C65FB8-0136-4A88-A49B-52986D4F9E3D_zpsbsvliejj.jpg

Tangelo Mead, Traditional Viking Mead, Blackberry Vanilla, and Spiced Apple/Pear. The one with the apples is a beer experiment.

C3C65FB8-0136-4A88-A49B-52986D4F9E3D_zpsbsvliejj.jpg

Tangelo Mead, Traditional Viking Mead, Blackberry Vanilla, and Spiced Apple/Pear. The one with the apples is a beer experiment.

The one with apples looks cool. Tell us more! I did the same thing with a cyzer. Tasted it today for the first time.

The one with apples looks cool. Tell us more! I did the same thing with a cyzer. Tasted it today for the first time.

It's a Belgian triple that had strong caramel notes so I decided to add apples and honey to see if I could get it to taste like a caramel apple. Well see what happens! :mug:

Back