Anyone every return bad beer????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopalotamus

Reaction score
i have been looking for a beer from a local brewery for a week and found it today at the liquor store they only had 12 packs so i got one. got it home chilled it and opened one nasty sour apple aftertaste undrinkable and what looks like dates of beer are 8-10-10. Has anyone ever returned bad beer to a liquor store it cost 17 dollars wasted it was Thomas hooker Munich lager have read its a great helles

Yep I've done it. I bought a 6er of fullers for 12 bucks that was completely skunked out. I returned it and the store actually removed they're stock because it was all way over date.

They should take it back because the distributor is supposed to check the dates and remove the bad ones.

cool thanks i was trying German versions of helles and they all were a little skunked after reading that Thomas hooker had a very good version i figured it would be the freshest guess i was wrong

Good or bad I return all my beer about 2-3 hours after I drink it. :p

To the store though? No I can't remember any beer that was skunked like that. If I had I would've most likely returned it though.

I've returned beer at restaurants, but never beer from a store. I guess as long as I was *sure* that it wasn't anything I did in transportation or storage on my part I prob would

I haven't but a bartender at a top notch craft beer bar told me a story about getting a six pack of something, opening one and having it go gusher everywhere. He was able to return the remaining five. When he went back to that store a week later, there were 5 bottles of that same brand in the single bottle section ...

I tried to take some bad Sweetwater IPA back to Kroger. Alcohol apparently isn't covered by their satisfaction guaranteed policy. I also tried to tell Sweetwater about it. Their response was less than satisfactory.

I've returned beer at restaurants, but never beer from a store. I guess as long as I was *sure* that it wasn't anything I did in transportation or storage on my part I prob would

grabbed of shelf drove from store to house less than a mile put in fridge at about 2:30 went back out got home at 6 and popped one smell was Little off but not bad taste up front was not so bad but nasty sour apple aftertaste after a few sips dumped and tried another same taste

Last month I bought beer from two different stores that was over its BBE.
I just sent them email about the case and both stores refunded fully without even seeing any evidence.
First one was Brooklyn American Ale and the second was from Finnish craft brewery.
In the second case they replied that every single bottle from that brewery was out of BBE.
They also gave me a box of chocolate and a pack of coffee.

returned tonight no problem guy apologized twice and they pulled the last 12 with the same date and exchanged mine with a fresh one

This reminds me that I forgot to email a new brewery about a possible contamination or capping issue. lol

Couldn't take mine back though, it was 700+ miles away when I realized there was an issue. Several of the bottles were quite sour. Didn't pour it out because it was still ok for cooking. lol

I bought a 6-er of New Knoxville Brewing Company "Something" when I was in college about 8 years ago and I opened 3 of them and they all foamed up to produce only 3-4 oz of beer(yes they were cold). I returned the 6 pack to the brewery and politely informed them that I was not satisfied with their product. They replaced the 6 pack and gave me some stickers!

Usually its only children that are happy to get stickers but I was stoked, too!
-Jefe-

I had picked up a 6 pack of the shock top raspberry for my mom during thanksgiving and tried one myself. It tasted really bad and strange. Woke up in the AM with the worst hangover I've ever had. Called over to my mother and she said the same. Called the numbre on the bottle and they gave me $20 check and send a package from fedex with a sampling kit to pour the questionable beer in and return for testing at the lab.

I had picked up a 6 pack of the shock top raspberry for my mom during thanksgiving and tried one myself. It tasted really bad and strange. Woke up in the AM with the worst hangover I've ever had. Called over to my mother and she said the same. Called the numbre on the bottle and they gave me $20 check and send a package from fedex with a sampling kit to pour the questionable beer in and return for testing at the lab.

I used to work at a grocery store for many years as a teenager and it seemed like the only problems we had with beer were with shock top. it didn't leave the shelves at alllll, and i always made sure the dates were good, and they were, but every time one sold they would bring it back because of how terrible they said it tasted. the store didnt listen when i told them not to order it..

I purchased a bottle of Buckeye Brewing Black IPA, and it was way over-carbed. I could not even pour or drink it. I contacted Buckeye, and they stated that it was due to the store/distributor getting the beer too warm. They also offered to replace it, plus more for the trouble, and ended up inviting us for a brewery tour, and sampling. Those were some awesome guys that stood behind their beers. We had some of the same beer there and it was beautiful (they only did one batch).

Got a skunked Rochefort 10 that I paid $8 for, I was super disappointed but I've gotten to know the guys at the liquor store and they gave me another bottle without question or receipt. They did not however sell me a bottle of Dark Lord in the back.

Usually I contact the brewery and wait for an answer. With Red Hook I got the distributor giving me a case of beer in exchange for an out of date 6 pack. Recently an Oregon based brewery gave me 2 22/oz bottles for a bad 22 bottle. Also bought a 12 mixed pack of Widmer that doubled up on the Hefe and left out the Drifter PA. They sent me a check for the price of the 12 pack.

I have returned Grolsch because it was skunked, dude tried to argue with me that it was SUPPOSED to taste that way... I explained the process to him; hops, yadda yadda, photosynthesis, blah blah, mercaptans etc etc... he obviously didn't understand a word of what I said... I guess he just didn't know how to argue with me LOL

I work for a large grocery store with an extremely wide variety of selection of beers in the liquor store and we have a no refunds policy. However, if the beer/wine/liquor/etc is bad, we will either refund the money or replace the product with new product. So much for the no refunds policy. We are more worried about keeping customers happy and coming back. If the product is all out of date on the shelf it gets pitched.

I bought a bottle of the bruery saison rue and when I opened it was completely flat. The liquor store said they would take it back. I also emailed the brewery and told them about the issue for quality control purposes and that the liquor store would take it back so it was no big deal. They emailed me back and told me they wanted to reimburse me anyway and offered to send me a glass. A week later in the mail I had a check for $12 and a really nice crystal Bruery tulip glass.

Just awesome. Im a fan for life. I never did return the beer since I wasn't trying to proffer off this. But later had gusher of jolly pumpkin at the same store and they took it back no problem.

I bought a bottle of the bruery saison rue and when I opened it was completely flat. The liquor store said they would take it back. I also emailed the brewery and told them about the issue for quality control purposes and that the liquor store would take it back so it was no big deal. They emailed me back and told me they wanted to reimburse me anyway and offered to send me a glass. A week later in the mail I had a check for $12 and a really nice crystal Bruery tulip glass.

Just awesome. Im a fan for life. I never did return the beer since I wasn't trying to proffer off this. But later had gusher of jolly pumpkin at the same store and they took it back no problem.

A lot of Jolly Pumpkins should be gushers, as they are sour ales that are naturally carbonated, and a lot of them sit on the shelf for some time. I would say that 75% of the bottles I've had from them gush or are very foamy, but the beer inside is always a treat.

A lot of Jolly Pumpkins should be gushers, as they are sour ales that are naturally carbonated, and a lot of them sit on the shelf for some time. I would say that 75% of the bottles I've had from them gush or are very foamy, but the beer inside is always a treat.

I absolutely agree, however this bottle was such a gusher that the entire bottle evacuated onto my ceiling within 10 seconds of opening. There was none to even drink!

Returned stale beer before. The peanuty wheat germ smelling kind. Never skunky beer. I can always get that down.

Advice: never buy a beer container that is taped shut. I assumed it was just ripped from transporting to find that someone returned and recapped it after opening a bottle. The bottle was half full of water.

I bought a few Atwater beers at our local store and one of them was a gusher. I called to let them know and they offered to compensate me if I came to the brewery... Which is a couple of hours away...

Other than that, I've returned a Two-Hearted at a restaurant after explaining that it wasn't hoppy enough and fairly flat. After being asked if I knew what Two-hearted was supposed to taste like, and me answering that yes, I do, because I've made it at home, I got another beer.

I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often since my downtown bottle shop doesn't go through the craft beer very fast. Bells Hopslam will sit there for MONTHS. I usually buy one or two 6-packs for myself, but at almost $20 apiece, I'm not really willing to buy more.

Yep.

Bought some Speckled hen in bottles and it was skunked to hell. Took it back and got another. Skunked. Took it back and the clerk proceeded to open bottles from 5 other sixers on teh shelf.

All skunked.

I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often since my downtown bottle shop doesn't go through the craft beer very fast. Bells Hopslam will sit there for MONTHS. I usually buy one or two 6-packs for myself, but at almost $20 apiece, I'm not really willing to buy more.

There's a fancy-shmancy wine/beer specialty store near me that still has it from last year.

Well, I recently opened a 10$ bottle of Thiriez Extra (hopped saison).

well, i pour it in a glass, and a hug bug comes out. bee-like, but ive never seen one before. typical farmhouse beer!

i did not return it since i feel it was nto the stores fault. I should have taken a picture but i was too distraught, as this beer smelled so good

wailingguitar said:
I have returned Grolsch because it was skunked, dude tried to argue with me that it was SUPPOSED to taste that way... I explained the process to him; hops, yadda yadda, photosynthesis, blah blah, mercaptans etc etc... he obviously didn't understand a word of what I said... I guess he just didn't know how to argue with me LOL

Grolsh is the most disgusting **** I've ever tasted. I bet it's meant to taste that way, which is terrible. It defines disgusting skunked macro euro beer.

I would, but have not had to as of yet.

I have returned a pint or two while eating out that were obviously not what I ordered (um, does this piss water look like a Sam to you?) or that were flat or skunked.

This one time at a Patriots game...

Drinking up BMCs most of the game (I know :eek:) and for some reason switched to a different booth...tasted like there were dirty socks in the lines...made them re-pour twice before I made them give me my $8 bucks back (I said it, $8 BMCs)...moved on to another booth...mmmmmm, cold non-dirty sock BMC!!!!

About 3 weeks ago I bought a six pack of Thomas Hooker Noreaster to bring to a party. I took one out before anyone had one and it was the same undrinkable I had to warn everyone not to drink and go get another six pack I was pissed.

While visiting Minnesota, I picked up a six pack of Deschute's Inversion since it's not distributed in Nebraska only to later find out it was well out of date and quite skunked. I sent an email to Deschutes not to complain or anything, but just to let them know that they may have some beer on the shelf somewhere in Minnesota that could be out of date, and literally within 25 minutes I had an email from the brewery apologizing and saying they will be sending a refund ASAP. I will be buying more Deschutes the very next time I see it.

I have had atwater java porter and just recently their imperial amber both of which pours three fingers of beer and a fist of foam. Damn near takes 20 minutes to settle and it still tastes like ****. never again.

I would return a bad beer! The same as I would return a bad gallon of milk. I have sent back beer that were skunky that should not have been skunky several times.

Back