Adding watter techniques ? To Mash.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of people do it different ways. I fill up the mash tun with hot water, let it get to the right temp and then add grains to the water. Others put the grain in first. Either way, the important thing is to make sure the temp is right and that all the grain is stirred in and wet.

If BeerSmith says that my strike water temp should be 155 degrees, I put the prescribed amount of water in but add 10 or 15 degrees, so 170 degree water in this example. I then put the lid on the tun and swish the water around for a few minutes. Then I take the top off. When the temp settles to 155, I stir in the malt. Since the mash tun has been preheated, I come really close to hitting my strike temperature this way.

I heat my water to 10 degrees over my intended mash temp then kill the heat and add my grains...usually hits the mark within a minute

Back