Orval Clone - BCS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johngie

Reaction score
I brewed up Jamil's Belgian Specialty ale (Orval-ish clone) from BCS a few weeks ago. Grain bill was the same (which included 1lb of table sugar) but I used Wyeast's PC 3739 Flanders Golden ale yeast instead of 3522.

I just took an gravity reading as I was going to transfer to secondary and pitch the Brett B this weekend.

The FG is 1.004, much lower then what Jamil states in the book (1.009 was the expected). Not really looking to diagnose why it's so low but my question is, will the Brett B have enough residual sugar etc to do it's thing in the bottle?

Or should I keg and drink this beer (tastes great) and re-brew without the sugar (or mash higher) or go ahead and move to secondary, pitch the Brett B and bottle in a couple of months as planned?

Thanks!

You might consider throwing in 1/2-1 lb maltodextrin to give the brett something to munch on.

Latest posts

Back