Scottish Export Four Peaks Kiltlifter Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just mashed this puppy. I mashed a bit higher at 154 and used a combination of 4# Golden Promise and 5.5#Maris Otter. Now I'm contending with a semi stuck sparge..Wish me Luck.

Update: I made it!

Going to brew this today. with the following small changes:

.7 oz smoked malt (instead of peat-smoked)

1 oz U.S. Golding
.5 oz Kent Golding

2 oz roasted barley unmalted 300L

Going to use WLP002 and let ferment at 62.

I am just finishing my keg of this beer I brewed it exactly per the recipe. Thanks for this recipe it's right on.

Brewed this tonight as my very first all grain. Brewed almost directly to recipe; I had to change some of the grains due to availabiliy.

Thank you so much for sharing!

So brewed this about 2 weeks ago. Somehow efficiency went through the roof, so I hit OG of 1.072. Today at 1.018 and transferred to secondary. It tastes delicious already, can't wait for the yeast to do their clean up job and make it perfect with a maybe little more punch than originally planned. Thanks for the recipe.

is there any way to convert this to a partial? i love kiltlifter and 8th street if you know one for that let me know

This turned out awesome! My first all grain. I bottled half in traditional 12oz bottles and half in 500ml bombers for the pool. They are going fast!

Thanks for sharing the recipe!

brewed this last month, been in the bottle for a 2 weeks. it is the best clone that I've brewed, tired out AWESOME! I stayed low on the peated malt, just the right amount if u ask me. thanks I'm brewing this again tomorrow.

Brewed again today w a little more peated malt, .75 to be exact. everything else was on par, finished 1.053 OG

the higher amount of peated malt made the beer better for me. enjoying version 2 right now.

This is exactly what I was looking for, I am bookmarking this for when I make the transition to AG brews.

My LHBS has Simpsons Peated Malt, is that the same thing as the smoked malt in the recipe?

dave8274 said:
My LHBS has Simpsons Peated Malt, is that the same thing as the smoked malt in the recipe?

That's all my LHBS had as we'll and I used it. Just 1oz it's strong so be careful not to overdue it

image-1140724894.jpg

this is my last bottle of my second batch, was a great clone

just a reminder: this scottish ale won Silver medal at the GABF in October. it's certainly worthy of it's weight. thanks for the recipe!

Brewing this for the 2nd time. Mid boil right now and the color looks awesome.
This will probably be my go to very year for st pattys

Anyone try this as a partial mash and how did it turn out? I dont think Im ready to do all grain yet as I have only have 3 batched under my belt.

Brewed this one today. Ended up high on my og but I'll take that. Looking forward to this one. Thank you Scottland

Mine turned out a very tasty beer. I messed up and my beer came out thin. It tastes good, but through no fault of the OP, mine is not a clone. I'd brew it again

Anyone try this as a partial mash and how did it turn out? I dont think Im ready to do all grain yet as I have only have 3 batched under my belt.

I just made something similar to this a month ago. Not the same recipe, very small amount of peated and WY 1728 fermented in fridge (48 Ambient) (54 ish ferment). fermented for 3 1/2 weeks, small Krausen. Bottled 2 weeks ago and tasted last fri. (7 Nov) compared to Bellhaven Scottish Ale (80 Shilling) smell was nearly spot on, color was spot on, taste was very very close. currently in fridge for cold conditioning for a few weeks. I attached recipe below. if anyone interested.

Scottish Ale Recipie (Partial Mash)

Est Pre-boil Grav: 1.087
Est OG: 1.047
Est FG: 1.013
Est ABV: 4.47%

5 Gals

3lb Extra Light DME
3.5lb Golden Promise Malt
2oz Peat Smoked MAlt
10oz Crystal 60 Malt
4oz Roasted Barley
8oz Carapils

1oz UK Goldings @ 45 mins
.5oz Fuggles @ 10 mins

Irish Moss

Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale

Mash @ 154-156 for 60 mins
Sparge - 10 mins.
Boil for 60 mins.

(OG:______________)

Ferment @ 50-55 deg. 4 weeks
Allow fermentor to warm to room temp for 4 days.
Bottle 1 1/2 cup DME.
bottle condition 3 weeks.
Cold condition, 4 weeks.

I bottled this a week ago and will probably wait another week before I sample one. The recipe was followed per OP, but I accidentally mashed-out extremely high. Hopefully it still tastes close to Kiltlifter.

Wow. Thank you for the outstanding recipe, scottland. I did a side-by-side comparison last night with Four Peaks and my homebrew; mine won hands down.

I have decided that i want to brew this next week. i have a couple of questions: 1) How long should i mash for the first runnings? 2) How long should i sparge and at what temp?

I have decided that i want to brew this next week. i have a couple of questions: 1) How long should i mash for the first runnings? 2) How long should i sparge and at what temp?
I mashed for 75 minutes @ 152, mashed out for 15 minutes @ 168, and sparged with 2 gallons @ 168.

Just finishing up my taste glass of this clone. I'm originally from Phoenix and Four Peaks was a staple of my early beer days, my first real craft experience before I knew it was craft. Kilt Lifter is a classic.

I brewed this to be ready for St. Patrick's Day, so it's been in the bottle for about a month or so. Still tastes a little green, but should be awesome in a month. I have a hard time fermenting at lower temps, so my S-04 beers take some time to mellow out the green.

Here's a pic for ya as I'm down to the last two savory drinks....

KLclone.jpg

Trying this right now. Nearest HBS had a smoked grain, but not from peat. So that's the first variation, but I'm also pitching a Scottish ale yeast strain instead.

Forgive me, 1st time poster.

I love Kilt lifter it is my number 1 go to beer.

I just finish my 1st home brew kit (Scottish ale from Brewers Best) its good but weaker than I am looking for.

This look awesome but not sure how to see the actual recipe any help would be sweet.

Thank you

Forgive me, 1st time poster.

I love Kilt lifter it is my number 1 go to beer.

I just finish my 1st home brew kit (Scottish ale from Brewers Best) its good but weaker than I am looking for.

This look awesome but not sure how to see the actual recipe any help would be sweet.

Thank you
First off welcome to the addiction... I mean hobby.
Second we are going to need more info on how it was weaker. Did it taste weak or thin? Was it not as hoppy as the original? In my experience it takes some time for Scottish ales it clean up and taste right. Right about the time I kick the keg it tases perfect. Walk us thru your process.

Abv on the kit i bought was 3.5%

I was hopeing to make this kilt lifter clone but was unsure of how to go about it.

Is there a detailed step by step for it?

Also the ingredients, just any brew store or online shop?

The simplest way to fix this is to just add more malt extract. Generally any brew store will have all the ingredients you will need for this. Where do you live can you go to a brew store?

The simplest way to fix this is to just add more malt extract. Generally any brew store will have all the ingredients you will need for this. Where do you live can you go to a brew store?

Im in Goodyear AZ

There is a store close i bought my kit from. i didnt take notice of ingredients though. Maybe I will reach out to them. By "adding more malt extract" do you mean both dry and liquid, for the Brewers Best Scottish ale case.

I am going to read Scottlands OP again and again to make sure i understand his instructions. I really want to make a "kilt Lifter"

Back