Kilkenny availability in the US

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Kilkenny is distributed in the US, and if so where? I'm in AZ and would like to get a bottle/can or 2 for a friend who loves this beer. Open to a beer swap.

Isn't Kilkenny marketed as Smithwicks in the US?

No, they aren't the same beer. Smithwick's is an Irish Red Ale brewed by a brewery owned by Guiness. Kilkenny, on the other hand, is an Irish cream ale. I have no idea where you could get Kilkenny in the US, I've only had it in Ireland. Sorry, I'm not much help, haha

Kilkenny does not equal Smithicks.

I have found it in on draft (the only way to drink it) Washington, DC., Lewes, Delaware, in Ireland, and in Hong Kong. Very creamy. Nitrogen delivered.

My local host in Houston tells me that there's a marketing agreement with Bass that prevents selling Kilkenny in the southern US. It's owned by Guiness, but isn't everything.

I've had what's called Killkenny cream ale on tap at several places around Orlando Florida, could be a Disney exclusive thing, though. Also pretty sure I've seen it at my local bottle shop here in Indiana, I'll look when I go in there this weekend.

Does anyone know if Kilkenny is distributed in the US, and if so where? I'm in AZ and would like to get a bottle/can or 2 for a friend who loves this beer. Open to a beer swap.
While it's extremely difficult to purchase it in cans at a store in the United States, you do have options when it comes to Pubs across the USA that serve Kilkenny. I am part of a Facebook Group ("Bring Kilkenny to the United States") and also keep a map of user-contributed locations that you might find helpful: Kilkenny Irish Beer & Ale - Google My Maps

Back