Need to fix my Smoked porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cell

Reaction score
I have a smoked porter in secondary and I don't really like it, here's why:
Recipe SG: 1.064 / My SG: 1.060
Supposed to yield 6 Liters / Yielded 9 liters (yeah i know.. small BIAB batches)

I just tasted it and it does taste smokelly good, but also watery and over-hoppy. I should have boiled it down to 6 liters but I was in a hurry...

What can I do to fix this? Can I make the same beer but overshoot and aim at 1.068 instead and mix both beer in secondary? Or can I add some extra fermentable? Please help!:)

So, you undershot your OG because you have too much volume? How long did you boil this batch?

I made a smoked porter recently, and I mashed at 159 for 45 minutes and the first time I tasted it out of the keg I described it as being bacon water. I tasted it yesterday evening and when it had a tinge of carbonation it tasted way better. My solution is the same as the above: don't do anything and just drink it. You can't judge it by how it tastes out of the fermenter.

How often do you drink warm flat beer for enjoyment anyway?

devilishprune How often do you drink warm flat beer for enjoyment anyway?
haha! Not often indeed!

I started it 2 weeks ago. I boiled 10 Liters of wort for 1 hour. I thought I would collect 6 liters but I amazingly only lost 1 liter during mash+boil! Maybe I'll experiment with just half of it..

You could add some maltodextrin which will boost mouthfeel with hardly any sweetness, and you can age it for a while because the bitterness will dissipate with age. You could also try blending it; I'd add a lot of crystal/caramel to it to boost the FG so that when you blend it it'll equalize in the middle, and underhop it.

edit: Of course, carbonation can both mask some of the hoppiness and add to mouthfeel, so if you boost your priming sugar a bit/boost the PSI it could sort itself out for you.

Both fixes are going to take time and won't be exact, so next time don't brew in a hurry and get it right from the start :)

in answer to your question, yes, you can brew another batch and add it with your beer in secondary. Brewers add fresh wort to already fermenting beer in the fermentor all the time with no ill effects .

Back