Saison recipe idea, looking for feedback.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fetus

Reaction score
Still fairly new to the brewing, and this is my first recipe I've created entirely from scratch. A local brewery to me had a belgian golden ale with sour cherries, and I liked the concept. Later I had a lime saison at another restaurant. My idea is to combine the two. What I'm looking for is a spicy, peppery, and tart saison, but with hints of cherry and lime. I haven't quite got my all grain setup going yet, so this will be an extract batch.

The recipe I've got is as follows:

4 lbs Pilsner DME
1 lb wheat DME
1 lb carapils - steeped
8 oz belgian aromatic - steeped
8 oz turbinado - added at end of boil
1 tbsp lime zest - added at end of boil
1 tsp cloves - added at end of boil
1 tbsp cracked coriander - added at end of boil

As for hops, I've got:

1.5oz Saaz, 60 mins.
1oz Hallertau, 15 mins
1oz Hallertau, 5 mins.

Secondary with 1lb of mashed, frozen tart cherries for 5-7 days.

I'm looking for opinions on my spice choices, and the amounts.. as well as the secondary with the cherries. I'm open to critique on all aspects of the recipe, though. Thanks!

I'd use Wyeast 3711 and drop the spices, if it were me. I made mine with that yeast and no spices and it had nice spicy and peppery notes to it from the yeast alone.

Good to know. I was planning on using 3711. I think I may drop the spices if the spicy notes are strong enough.

They weren't overpowering, but they were definitely there. With the added flavor of the cherries, they'll be a bit more muted, but I still think they'll come through. Especially if you ferment warm. Note that mine came out pretty tart too, without anything but grain, water, hops and yeast.

The main thing I'm curious about is the lime zest. Is 1 tbsp of zest going to be enough to impart a noticeable lime presence in the beer without being overpowered by the cherries and the spice esters?

No real idea with that. If I were doing it, I might try adding the zest from one lime at flameout and then taste it when I transfer to secondary and if it's not coming through enough then try one more lime worth in secondary and then taste it again after a few days or so.

I have given my opinion and advice. All others are rendered unnecessary. ;)

Just kidding, but ya got a free bump out of it. :D

gravity looks about right coriander tends to come off strong but mellows over time if you are drinking it sooner rather than later i'd cut back on the coriander

This style IMO shine with 6+ months bottle conditioning and higher Co2 3-4 vol

My thought is based on cherry limeade. I think cherry and lime go great together, and wanted to bring the flavors to a beer. After I had the cherry belgian golden and the lime saison, I wanted to try mixing the two. I suppose I'll see how it goes this weekend.

Back