fermentation hasn't started

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sofa333

Reaction score
This is my first atempt, it's a Brewers Best American Pale Ale kit. it's been 42 hr since the dry yeast was pitched, and there seems to be no activity.. The wort was cooled to approx 64 d. when yeast was pitched, OG 1.050, the temp today is up to 75. should I panick? Any sugestions, thanks...

what makes you think there is no fermentation?

an airlock is not a fermentation indicator its a pressure release valve. if the CO2 can escape else where it will. if your worried take a SG reading. if its gone down you have fermentation.

if you don't want to open it you can always stick your good ear up to the bucket. you should hear a hissing sound. if so you have fermentation..... oh and that foam and/or brown stuff on the top of your beer is normal and also means you have fermentation.

if you don't want to open it you can always stick your good ear up to the bucket. you should hear a hissing sound. if so you have fermentation..... oh and that foam and/or brown stuff on the top of your beer is normal and also means you have fermentation.

Or, if you're fermenting in a bucket and the lid is bulging and there is a whistling sound coming from one side it is also fermenting. You also very likely have a plugged airlock if that is the situation.

after closer inspection there is a nice foam build-up, it is fermenting. I have replaced the airlock, it appeared to be leaking. Thanks for all the responce. it certainly was apreciated.

Back