regarding distilled water and extract brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColonelForbin

Reaction score
i was reading on the extract brewing board the other day about using distilled water with extracts because the extract all ready has all the nutrients and using anything but distilled water will give it a double water profile. i do remember however reading that you should never use distilled water, but that may apply only to all grain. what are your thoughts? will it be better to use distilled water or spring water on my next batch of extract beer?

The basic rule that I go by is "try it out and see how it tastes." If distilled water gives you a good beer, then use it. Same for spring water or tap water. I use bottled spring water myself, and I'm happy with it - I like how it tastes, and I like the beer I get with it. But there are people who like how their beers come out using distilled.

I'm fortunate to live in an area with excellent tap water, so that's what I use. To echo what SteveM said, i tried it, I liked it, and I've stuck with it!

Back