Good Cheap Kegfiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captianoats

Reaction score
I came up with this a little over a month ago. I realized my pipeline was getting dry and needed a keg fill before my Kentucky Derby party last week. Got desperate and ran to the store and bought 2 cans of Premier Malt Extract (light). Dumped 1 lb of corn sugar and the supplied of yeast and let her go to town.

2 weeks later, I kegged and added a shot of strawberry flavor extract. (My lhbs sells a small bottle to do 5 gallons of wine) This turned out great. It was a big hit at the party, even for a couple of friends that think Busch Light is the best beer on earth. It's not overpowering strawberry, but you can smell it, and it has a definite berry aftertaste. Great summer beer. Sorry, don't have gravity readings. This was just a quick, easy swill I tossed together in 15 minutes after work one night. Here's the recipe for those of you that couldn't follow along.

5 gallon recipe
2 cans Premier Light Malt Extract
1 lb corn sugar
1 bottle of strawberry flavor extract (enough for 5 gallons)

Add extract and sugar to fermenter, top off to 5 gallons. Add 1 package of yeast supplied with extract. Ferment until gravity has leveled off. Add strawberry flavor extract and 3/4 cup corn sugar (only if bottling). Enjoy.

My goto easy cheapo is what I call a hop grenade.

3 lbs pale DME
1 lb table sugar

3 oz cascade 30 min.

The minimal malt lets the hops shine through for a surprisingly pleasing cheap IPA.

Back