After 670 bottles my first foamer!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
Well - had to happen (or not) but after 670 bottles I had my first foamer Sunday. Now I'm freaked and refuse to give anyone that batch of beer!!

DANG!!

I have drinkin (drunk?) 28 of the bottles and all were fine - fantastic actually so I was shocked when this happened - I'll be trying another one tonight! I'm hoping it's a one bottle blunder but . . . . . .

geez - I've never been this on edge LOL

Examine the bottles....any 'film' just around the headspace. Could mean infection. Some of those bugs chew really slowly.

Maybe a bottle or two slipped through your sanitation regimen. It happens.

Yeah, I had a foamer in a batch once and felt weird about entire batch. After it happened, I immediately moved every bottle to the beer fridge in the garage and opened them all in the sink for awhile.

Didn't get a single other foamer in the batch.

That is what I'm hoping - I sure don't want to give anyone foamer beer!

I get bottles from friends who are pretty good at rinsing but I know ONE almost slipped through once.

The only foamer I got was in a batch with plenty of others that were not. I rushed to the sink and poured it out and there was a glob of something that came out with the beer. Was down the drain before I got a good look, but I think it was a glob of goo like you'd get when you leave a bit of beer to spoil in the bottle.

I wonder if I accidentally bottled into an unclean bottle.

ahh!
shutup. y'all are skeerin me!
i have about 400 empties. all mine at least, and me and SWMBO are very good about rinsing, and pre rinsing before sanitizing. but i have co workers who are mooches after trying batch one and two. they constantly ask me for another sample.... goo would be bad!

I tried another from the batch and all was well so my fears have sobsided a little. Still - no one gets freebies from THAT batch anymore (which is a good thing).

What are you talking about? Foamer Batches are ideal to waste on friends.

One thing I do as an extra precaution is this:

When brew day is over I don't dump the sanitizer I have used. Rather, I pour it into a bucket I use for bottles.

After I consume a bottle of beer, I rinse it out well. Then I submerge it into the bucket of sanitizer until the next morning. The next morning I empty the bottle and set it aside to dry. I then store it.

When it is time to fill that bottle again, I go through the sanitation cycle as I normally would.

AH, rinsing them out is fine. I always look into each bottle before using, just to be sure I don't have a nasty one, but I also get a lot of my bottles from the beer store, so I's possible that I didn't clean one out well enough.

As far as not serving to friends, well, I would laugh my @ss off if one of my friends got a gusher! (unless it was on my wife's new carpet...)

Latest posts

Back