Russian Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

senorfartman

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
Wyeast Liquid
Yeast Starter
None
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
1.07-1.08
Final Gravity
1.02-1.03
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Color
Motor Oilesque
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 @ 65-75 Fahrenheit
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
None
This is from a kit that turned out particularly well. I take no credit for the recipe but for those interested in a RIS, it is excellent.

6.6 lbs Plain Dark Malt Extract
2 lbs Plain Dark Dry Malt Extract
8 oz Crushed Roasted Barley
8 oz Crushed Black Patent
1 lb Crushed Crystal Malt 60L
1 oz Yakima Magnum Hops (Bittering)
50 mL Activator Liquid Yeast
2 gal Water

Fill the pot with 2 gallons of water.

Place the Patent, Barley and Crystal Malt in a steeping bag for 20 minutes at 140 - 160 degrees Fahrenheit.

Remove the steeping bags and bring the wort to a boil.

Add the DME and Hops and boil for 60 minutes stirring occasionally.

Cool the wort afterward, transfer it to the fermenter. add the yeast and seal.

My first batch averaged around 4% ABV. It is very drinkable and I had a noticeable buzz going on after a couple at the tailgate today :)

I made this on 5/9/09 and bottled yesterday (6/7/09). The only thing I did different was use Safele-04 for the yeast. Very vigorous fermentation. It tasted awesome :mug:! I can't wait for this to carb up and age some more. This recipe is a winner in my book, and I'm sure I will make it again.

Question: You say the batch was around 4% ABV. Am I confused?? Shouldn't a RIS come out in the 8-9% ABV? I am getting ready to brew one myself... is the low ABV just from not aging long enough?

Also, from whom did you get the kit? I was just looking at Midwest Brewing Supply's website. Has anyone ever used their RIS kit? I could use some input about whether to purchase this kit or another.

Not sure about the OP, but my OG was 1.062 and my FG was 1.018 for an ABV of about 5.6%. Perhaps I didn't stir enough after topping off with the last 2 gallons of water, because I thought that my OG was a little low. Anyway, I'm not sure it is a true RIS, but it was tasty at bottling. I'm looking forward to next week when I am going to sample one (I know that it is a bit early, but I like to know how the beer is progressing).

About the kit - don't know where the OP got his, but I just went to my LHBS and picked up the ingredients.

Update: After 2 weeks the beer poured like a Coke - quick and rapidly dissolving head. Taste was okay, but seemed to lack some complexity and mouth feel. Fast forward two more weeks (one month in the bottle). Now head is better, smaller bubbles and lasts longer. Taste is improved, as is mouthfeel. I am really starting to like this, as are my friends that I have shared it with. I am going to convert this to an AG recipe and add some oatmeal for the next time I brew it. When I do, I will update.

Question: You say the batch was around 4% ABV. Am I confused?? Shouldn't a RIS come out in the 8-9% ABV? I am getting ready to brew one myself... is the low ABV just from not aging long enough?
QUOTE]

No kidding..... I've got one in secondary right now... It's still about 2-3 weeks from bottling and it's already at 10.9 estimated ABV..

Latest posts

Back