Danstar Windsor high finishing gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andycr

Reaction score
I have an all-grain recipe pitched with Windsor ale yeast. It's sitting at almost 3 weeks and is at 1.022. I had heard it wasn't an especially great yeast, but is this really normal? I mashed at 153, so it's not like there should be a ton of unfermentables... Is Windsor really that lazy?

Yes. This is actually a feature of the Windsor yeast and is desired for certain beer types.

If you're really worried about it and not liking the high FG, I'd suggest pitching another clean yeast. I would use Safale US-05 (Cheap and a very good attenuating yeast). Very clean and likely won't impart much more flavor (If at all).

There are many people who don't like Windsor for this reason alone. However, as I said earlier, this is desired in many cases and should not be looked upon as a bad trait for this yeast. Just make sure you remember that for the next time you use it.

I guess I should ask what your starting gravity was measured at. That would help understanding whether or not you are in the yeast's expected attenuation range.

It was Caribou Slobber all-grain, but adapted for 2.5 gallons and purchased locally at the LHBS. OG 1.057, FG 1.022. According to a calculator I used online, that's 60% AA.

Since Windsor was the recommended dry yeast option, I'm assuming it's desirable for the style. As long as it's not going to cause bottle bombs, I'm okay with it.

The sample I tasted really isn't promising, but I hate S-04 so British esters may just not be my thing after all. I'll have to see for sure after 3 weeks in the bottle.

Warm it up and rouse the yeast a bit? Most of the fermentation has been done so I wouldn;t worry too much about off flavours from high temps from now on in

I'd at least let it sit for another few weeks in the fermenter if possible.

After 3 weeks already? I can certainly do that, but are you saying for flavor or do you really think it'll drop more than it has in 3 weeks?

After 3 weeks already? I can certainly do that, but are you saying for flavor or do you really think it'll drop more than it has in 3 weeks?

I don't think it will. I've never had Windsor yeast drop below 1.020. It's good for beers that you want to finish high, and I bet it's great in the Caribou Slobber. But I also think the beer is done, and I wouldn't swirl/shake or otherwise mess with it.

Okay, thanks. Wasn't expecting that with an all-grain beer, caught me off guard.

There are a few things that go into attenuation, not just yeast strain. Mash temps, ingredients, etc, all play a part. I would assume with a FG of 1.022 that the beer also had a higher mash temp, and had darker crystal and other less fermentable ingredients.

There are a few things that go into attenuation, not just yeast strain. Mash temps, ingredients, etc, all play a part. I would assume with a FG of 1.022 that the beer also had a higher mash temp, and had darker crystal and other less fermentable ingredients.

Mash temp was a pretty consistent 153ºF, but it does have 9% crystal malts. That may be it.

Believe it or not, 6 days later and the gravity has dropped 3 points to 1.019. Total time in primary is now a day shy of 4 weeks. What a lazy yeast... I'm going to swirl it slightly, let it sit another 3 days, and check again.

Back